The process of making a science or natural history documentary from conception (research and proposal) through to execution (shooting script, filming and post-production).
SCOM 470 is a project-based paper that provides an opportunity for you to develop professional skills and networks in a work setting. It is designed to extend the skills and implement the practices and principles that you have learned in your SCOM papers.
|Paper title||Literature Review and Pilot Film|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,282.09|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,357.07|
- Limited to
- PGCertSciComm, PGDipSciComm, MAppSc
- May be taken only by students enrolled for Science and Natural History Filmmaking options.
- More information link
- View more information on the Centre for Science Communication's website
- Teaching staff
- Ross Johnston
- Paper Structure
- Assignment 1: 10% - Pitching a documentary series
- Assignment 2: 15% - Write a Shooting Script
- Assignment 3: 10% - Write and Record a Narration
- Assignment 4: 25% - Write a Proposal
- Assignment 5: 40% - Shoot and Edit a 10-minute film. The Director of Filmmaking will usually act as your 'mentor' for the 10-minute film.
- Bernard - Documentary Storytelling. Thirkell - C.O.N.F.L.I.C.T. Barbirat and Davis - The Business of Documentary Filmmaking
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Critical thinking, Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students will develop professional skills and networks in a work setting.
- Prerequisite SCOM 413. SCOM 411 and SCOM 412 must be taken concurrently or prior to this paper.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Taught in the second semester. One 3-hour weekly session, normally Monday 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm for the first seven weeks of the semester. In weeks 8-13 of the semester the class meets on Wednesday morning at 10:00 am to discuss progress and problems relating to Assignment 5 - the 10 minute film.
- Course outline
- The course outline will be supplied at the beginning of the semester.