Explores different cultural responses to the Spanish Civil War inside and outside of Spain. Poetry, narrative, painting and films produced during and after the conflict are some of the artistic manifestations discussed and analysed. (For students with knowledge of Spanish; texts will be in Spanish.)
The paper engages students with the historical, political and social consequences of the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) and also explores the need to reflect upon these events within literature, film and historical memory in the second half of the 20th century.
|Paper title||The Spanish Civil War and Historical Memory|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2019, expected to be offered in 2021|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$886.35|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,766.35|
- 18 200-level SPAN points
- SPAN 362, SPAN 311
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Suitable for undergraduate students with an intermediate level of Spanish who are interested in the 20th-century Spanish political scene and cultural production.
- Teaching staff
To be advised when next offered
- Paper Structure
This paper explores the following topics:
- Cultural production before the Spanish Civil War: La Generación del 27
- The impact of the Spanish Civil War and the consequences for Spanish politics and culture
- How political events are analysed within historical memory
- Teaching Arrangements
- Three hours of lectures per week.
- Readings and documentaries as assigned on Blackboard.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Critical thinking, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will
- Demonstrate knowledge of genre and literary techniques
- Demonstrate reflection on the representation of historical events during the post-war period
- Demonstrate awareness of the political conditions that led to the Spanish Civil War
- Demonstrate critical analysis of relevant literary production and awareness of their political position
- Demonstrate development of research and writing skills in Spanish