2021 information for papers will be published in early September.
An introduction to the influence of social psychological variables on participation and performance in sport and exercise and the influence of that participation on the psychological characteristics of participants.
|Paper title||Psychology of Sport and Exercise|
|Subject||Sport, Physical Education and Exercise|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,080.30|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,061.45|
- 72 points
- PHSE 205
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music, Science
Professor Ken Hodge (email@example.com)
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Course Co-ordinator and Lecturer: Professor Ken Hodge
- Paper Structure
This paper covers six modules/topics:
- Introduction to the psychology of sport
- Understanding participants in sport
- Understanding sport environments
- Understanding group and team processes
- Enhancing performance; mental skills training
- Facilitating psychological growth and development
Required text: Weinberg, R. & Gould, D. (2015). Foundations of Sport and Exercise Psychology (6th Edition). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. (or 5th Edition, 2011).
Recommended text: Hodge, K.P. (2004/2010). Sport Motivation: Training Your Mind for Peak Performance (2nd Edition). Auckland, NZ: Raupo.
Reserve readings will be available through course reserve in the library.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Understand how social psychological variables influence participation and performance in sport settings
- Understand how participation in sport influences the psychological development of the individual player/participant
- Acquire practical skills and knowledge about sport psychology that you can apply as a teacher, coach, fitness instructor or sports person