2021 information for papers will be published in early September.
Planning, set up, execution, management, analysis and reporting of hydrographic surveys including field work and voyage components.
Dates are tentative: students must contact the School of Surveying for the exact dates after 1 July 2020.
|Paper title||Hydrographic Field Design and Voyage|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2020|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,233.91|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,150.69|
- Pre or Corequisite
- SURV 452 and PMAN 401
- SURV 462
- Limited to
- BSurv(Hons), PGDipSc, MSurv, MSc
This paper is an introduction to the application of hydrographic surveying theory, and is the first of two major practical components of this subject.
- Teaching staff
- Co-ordinator and Lecturer: Emily Tidey
- Paper Structure
- Field-course covering practical portions of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) S-5 syllabus.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Intensive field course for three weeks in December. E-learning utilised before and
after the field-course.
Dates are tentative: students must contact the School of Surveying for the exact dates after 1 July 2019.
- Highly Recommended: (All available to download online.)
IHO Manual of Hydrography
IHO Standards for Hydrographic Surveys s44
Land Information New Zealand Hydographic Survey Specifications (LINZ HYSPEC)
Other texts are available in the Science and School of Surveying Libraries and online.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Communication, Information literacy,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- During this paper students will:
- Prepare for a hydrographic survey by completing pre-analysis and planning tasks (including formulating a rigorous quality control strategy)
- Observe tide and current dynamics and be introduced to advanced tidal and current studies
- Establish horizontal and vertical control for a hydrographic survey to IHO standards
- Conduct a complete three-week hydrographic survey involving all associated management tasks to IHO and Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) standards
- Consolidate navigation and seamanship skills
- Prepare a comprehensive report of survey based on a pre-planning assignment, project management exercises and the hydrographic survey to IHO requirements