Apply for the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Development and Management (PGDIPSPDM)Apply Now
The Postgraduate Diploma of Sport Development and Management (PGDipSpDM) is a 120-point coursework programme with the option for students to exit after one academic year or to progress onto the Master of Sport Development and Management (MSpDM).
The PGDipSpDM consists of four 20-point papers (each SPEX paper typically comprising 2 × 10-point modules) and a 40-point independent project. Students will be able to develop a coherent course of study (with input from their advisor) by selecting from papers that reflect their subject of interest. The typical duration of the programme is one academic year, full time.
Other important goals of the course are to develop in students:
- An appreciation of current and emerging issues and perspectives in global and national sporting communities.
- Commitment to the acquisition, critical evaluation and application of knowledge and policies relevant to sport development and management
- Ability to accurately and effectively communicate information, arguments and analyses using written, visual and oral reporting formats.
- Advanced knowledge of ethics and ethical standards relevant to sport development; ability to operate ethically within the workplace and community.
- An understanding of the development of sport in local, national and international contexts in two fundamental ways: development of sport and development through sport. The first is based on sport being valued for its own sake where it is viewed as a public good. The second refers to the strategic use of sport to address and achieve specific social, educational, health, economic, and political objectives.
Information for new applicants
A candidate would normally have completed a Bachelor of Science (BSc) or Bachelor of Arts in a related subject area before undertaking the PGDipSpDM, but the degree is also open to those with other qualifications.
Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Development and Management (PGDipSpDM)
Regulations for the Degree of Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Development and Management (PGDipSpDM)
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences).
- Every applicant shall have fulfilled one of the following conditions:
- have been admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Arts majoring in Sport Development and Management;
- have been admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Sciences majoring in Sport Development and Management;
- have been admitted with the status of one who is entitled to proceed to the diploma;
- have a qualification acceptable to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor and produce evidence satisfactory to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor of ability to proceed to the diploma.
Structure of the Programme
- Every programme of study shall comprise 400-level papers worth a total of 120 points: SPEX 401, 460, 461, 480 and one of EDUC 464, SOCI 401, 402, MAOR 414, 427, HUMS 501, TOUR 426.
- Any required independent project must be submitted no later than 1 November.
Prerequisites, Corequisites and Restrictions
Every programme of study shall satisfy the requirements for prerequisites, corequisites, and restrictions set out in the Prescriptions (published in the Guide to Enrolment).
Duration of the Programme
The programme may be taken by full-time candidates in one year, or by part-time candidates over more than one year. Any paper in which a candidate is enrolled in any year shall be examined in that year.
Level of Award of the Diploma
The diploma may be awarded with distinction or with credit.
The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences) may in exceptional circumstances approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.