Apply for the Bachelor of Applied Science (BAppSc)Apply Now
Apply for the Bachelor of Arts and Science (BASc)Apply Now
Apply for the Diploma for Graduates (DipGrad)Apply Now
We have combined the disciplines of physical education with physical activity and health to provide students with a well-rounded understanding of the theory and practices of health, wellness and wellbeing for individuals, communities and populations whatever their health status.
Our major captures the reasons why we should be physically active, the physiology behind how physical activity works to influence health and how to prescribe exercise. It includes how we can encourage people to be more active, as well as coaching, teaching and instructing about the relevance of physical activity.
We focus on the importance of communities, including Māori communities as well as understanding how the environment relates to being active. This major will also appeal to those interested in teaching or coaching sport and exercise. It is designed to equip students with a strong background in the biophysical and sociocultural sub-disciplines of human movement. In addition, there is a strong emphasis on applied practice and theory.
You will have the opportunity to engage in practical learning inside and outside of the classroom and exercise laboratories including our specially designed practicum paper.
To apply for this major subject:
- Select the qualification you wish to take from the list below (for undergraduate study this would be a BAppSc or BASc). This will take you to the relevant qualification page.
- Click the Apply now button on the right of the qualification page. This will take you to the eVision login page where you can create your account and apply for the programme and select your major subject/s.
School of Physical Education, Sport and Exercise Sciences
Tel +64 3 479 8991
Website School of Physical Education, Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Bachelor of Applied Science (BAppSc)
- Bachelor of Arts and Science (BASc)
- Diploma for Graduates (DipGrad)
Bachelor of Applied Science (BAppSc) majoring in Physical Education, Activity and Health
SPEX 101 Sport, Science and Society
SPEX 102 Principles of Exercise for Health and Performance
162 further points, including either requirements for an approved minor or approved second major subject or other approved paper