Friday 30 May 2014 2:30pm
Afife Harris was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and underwent a genetic test, to determine the best course of treatment. CTCR's work towards making similar tests locally available, and at a lower cost, inspired Afife to hold a fundraising event.
The culinary mastery of Afife Harris attracted an enthusiastic audience to a local CTCR fundraising event held on Saturday 24th May. The event was well patronized, particularly given the frigid outdoor conditions.
Professor Parry Guilford gave an introduction on the Centre's mission and activities. The audience was then treated to a delicious display of culinary mastery, sprinkled with clever cooking tips.
On the menu was:
- Succulent chicken with almonds
- Traditional tasty Lebanese salad
- Ricotta cheese desert
Many were busy scribbling notes throughout!
The event concluded with everyone sharing the meal and discussing how to support the Centre’s work. More events are planned involving Afife's cooking so watch this space!
Read more about Afife Harris:
- Lebanese cuisine at Otago Farmers’ Market (Otago Farmers' Market website)
- A Global Feast: Traditional Meals in a New Homeland Co-authored by Afife (amazon.com website)
- Genetic test shapes treatment (The Star website)