The information on this page is for those applying for entry to the following programmes:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Dental Technology (PGDipCDTech)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Dentistry (PGDipClinDent)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Dental Technology (PGDipDentTech)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Dental Therapy (PGDipDentTher)
- Master of Community Dentistry (MComDent)
- Master of Dentistry (MDent)
- Master of Dental Technology (MDentTech)
- Master of Oral Health (MOH)
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (DClinDent)
Applications for most postgraduate programmes close on 31 May.
Applications for masters' programmes close on 31 May.
Note: Applications for the Master of Dentistry (MDent) with an endorsement in Aesthetic Dentistry close 31 July.
The application process comprises of two stages. For stage one you must supply the follow documents:
- Academic transcripts for previous degrees and diplomas (You don’t need to provide transcripts from Otago)
- Curriculum vitae
- An essay on the form provided
Your application will be assessed on the basis of these documents and if successful you will be asked to provide the following documents for stage two assessment:
- A letter of good standing from a dental registering body with whom you hold current registration
A letter from the Dental Council of New Zealand confirming your current New Zealand registration
- Three referee reports sent directly by your nominated referees to the University of Otago
- English language proficiency test results (IELTS or other) (7.5 overall, or 7 in each of the individual bands)
- Supporting information form.
In addition, before final offers can be made all applicants for postgraduate study at the Faculty of Dentistry must provide:
- Evidence of Immunity and Vaccination
- Complete Children’s Act Checking
You are encouraged to make the supporting documents relevant to the course you are applying for and include in your CV all relevant qualifications and fellowships, e.g. MRACDS, FRACDS, PGDip….
How do I enroll at the University of Otago?
I am an international graduate. What is the process for me?
Of particular interest may be:
What if I am a New Zealand Citizen?
If you are a New Zealand citizen, or resident visa holder of New Zealand (living and studying in New Zealand), or an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia (living and studying in New Zealand), you are classified as a domestic student. All other students are international students.
Where can I find information about a particular discipline?
Please email the discipline head. Their names and contact details can be found via the following page:
Can I apply for a scholarship?
How can I obtain dental registration in New Zealand?
Completion of postgraduate study does not automatically enable you work as a dentist in New Zealand. You must first complete the Dental Council of New Zealand's registration examinations. Please see the Dental Council website for more information:
For general enquiries:
Tel 64 3 479 8889
Fax 64 3 479 0673
Faculty of Dentistry
University of Otago
PO Box 56
Faculty of Dentistry
310 Great King Street