Faculty of Dentistry Student Support Officer
Professor Andrew Tawse-Smith is the Faculty of Dentistry's Student Support Officer. He provides support for both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Andrew can help you access confidential support for issues as varied as:
- Communication and decision-making skills
- Cultural adjustment and transition
- Illness and injury
- Motivation and direction
- Staff / student relationships
The Student Support Officer can also connect you with established student services such as:
All Faculty of Dentistry students are welcome to contact Andrew directly, by phone or email:
Tel +64 3 470 3589
Māori student support
Associate Dean Māori
Tēnei te Manupiki Māori ka mihi.
Tēnei hoki ka whai kia whanake te whaitake me te aronga ki ngā uaratanga iwi, kaupapa Māori.
The Manupiki Māori/Associate Dean Māori role has three major platforms:
- Advancing the values and aspirations of Māori within Te Kaupeka Pūniho | the Faculty of Dentistry,
- Developing the value of their knowledge, pedagogies and epistemologies within the core business of Te Kaupeka Pūniho | the Faculty of Dentistry, and
- Assisting Faculty departments to implement the University of Otago’s Māori Strategic Framework.
Mr Samuel Carrington
Associate Dean Māori | Manupiki Māori
Tel +64 3 479 9977
Ngā Mōkai O Ngā Whetū
Ngā Mōkai O Ngā Whetū is the Aotearoa NZ Māori Dental Students' Association. It provides peer support, mentorship and networking opportunities, oversees a range of events and activities, provides guidance to the Faculty on Māori issues, and represents tauira within Te Ao Mārama | The NZ Māori Dental Association.
Te Ao Mārama
Te Ao Mārama | The NZ Māori Dental Association is the professional association for all Māori oral health professionals. It provides leadership, representation and support, guided by its vision, “Hei oranga niho mo te iwi Māori” – Good oral health for Māori, for life.
Kōhatu – Centre for Hauora Māori
Kōhatu provides the focus for hauora Māori (Māori health) within the University, and involves teaching, research, Māori strategic development, community networking, and student relationships and support.
Within Kōhatu, the Dentistry liaison is:
Dr Kura Lacey
Kairuruku Ritenga Utua | Professional Practice Fellow
Kōhatu – Centre for Hauora Māori
Rūma / Room G20, 71 Frederick Street, Ōtepoti Dunedin
Waea / Tel +64 3 470 3490
Īmēra / Email email@example.com
Other support for Māori at Otago
Māori student support services
Pacific student support
Associate Dean (Pacific)
Talofa lava, Kia orana, Ni sa bula vinaka, Malo e lelei, Fakalofa lahi atu, Halo olaketa, Taloha ni, Namaste, Malo ni, Mauri, Fakatalofa atu.
The Associate Dean (Pacific) provides academic leadership in Pacific development in the Faculty of Dentistry, and works with Heads of Programme, Pacific Islands Support staff and staff who provide leadership in Pacific research.
The key aims of the role are to:
- provide guidance for Pacific students in academic, research, career and pastoral areas
- provide advice on implementation of Pacific Strategic Framework goals;
- support the development of our Pacific staff; and
- foster awareness of postgraduate and staff research that extends and deepens Pacific knowledge.
The current Associate Dean (Pacific) is Professor Darryl Tong:
Pacific Island Health Professional Students’ Association (PIHPSA)
The Pacific Island Health Professional Students' Association (PIHPSA) is an independent student body that supports Pacific students. The Association’s executive includes a Dentistry representative.
Pacific Island Health Professional Students' Association
Pacific Islands Centre
The Pacific Islands Centre supports Pacific students at Otago, their families and communities. It offers assistance and advice, and facilities for student use.