- Clinical Practice
- Health Services Research
- Social Sciences and Health
- Medical Education
The Department hosts a diverse range of research activities across several fields — medical, health services, education, and social science — and also hosts expertise in a wide range of research methodologies, both quantitative and qualitative, crossing epidemiological, public health, clinical, and social science boundaries.
We are an outward looking and multidisciplinary department: This is reflected in collaborations between the Department and other departments within the Medical School, other disciplines across the University of Otago, and other national campuses and organisations, as well as international collaborations.
It is also reflected in the close relationships that have been established between the Department and primary care and secondary care organisations including WellSouth Primary Care Network, Southern District Health Board, and Best Practice Advisory Centre (BPAC).
Our department has gratefully been awarded grants from:
- Coeliac New Zealand
- Health Research Council of New Zealand
- Healthcare Otago Charitable Trust
- Maurice and Phyllis Paykel Trust
- New Zealand Breast Cancer Foundation
- New Zealand Geriatric Society
- Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners
- Rural Innovation Fund
- University of Otago
- Wenner Gren Foundation
- World Health Organisation: World Alliance for Patient Safety