The Obesity Prevention and Management postgraduate qualifications are for health professionals working in the area of obesity prevention and management, whether it be clinically, professionally or academically. These will contribute to an interprofessional, collective approach to obesity prevention and management.
Suited to professionals working in areas such as primary health care, nutrition, exercise, health promotion and policy, or those in central government who wish to enhance their scope of professional practice, these qualifications have the potential to influence career paths and/or support leading an interprofessional obesity prevention and management team.
Distance learning is available.
- GENA 737 Obesity Prevention and Management Exploring the determinants of obesity and evidence-based, non-stigmatising strategies for prevention and management
- NUTN 404 Nutrition and Chronic Disease A critical and in-depth analysis of current and topical issues in the role of nutrition in chronic disease, specifically obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer
- SPME 711 Exercise Prescription A pragmatic paper where students learn how to prescribe exercise as part of patients’ health regimes, whilst taking into consideration any related medical problems
- OBPM 401 Medical and Surgical Management of Obesity Addresses the medical and surgical issues considered in treatment and management of obesity including genetics, sleep, fertility, continence, appetite, pharmacology, and bariatric surgery
- OBPM 402 Psychosocial Factors in Obesity Prevention and Management A broad look at the obesogenic environment from a governmental and sociological perspective and their impact on an individual’s psychological risk factors. There will be particular reference to Māori and Pacific peoples.
- OBPM 403 Childhood and Youth Obesity Prevention and Management Comprehensive coverage of obesity prevention and management in the child and adolescent population.
Key staff involved in Obesity Prevention and Management
- Dr Hamish Osborne Overall course coordinator; convenor for SPME 711 and OBPM 401
- Lesley Gray Convenor for GENA 737
- Dr Paula Skidmore Convenor for NUTN 404
- Professor Barry Taylor Convenor for OBPM 403
Course Coordinator Dr Hamish Osborne