The Oncology Research Group is a predominantly clinical trials-focused group with a portfolio comprising of collaborative, investigator-led, and commercial trial activity.
Recent projects include:
- The Recharge Study, investigating the use of ice cream containing lactoferrin in order to reduce chemotherapy-associated diarrhoea (Principal Investigator - Professor D Perez)
- The CapTox Study investigating genomic predicators of chemotherapy toxicity (PI - C Jackson and Prof P Guilford)
- BRACKIT study (PI - C Jackson and Prof M Eccles) - examining predictors of melanoma recurrence from matched primary lesions and sentinel lymph nodes.
Dr Jackson is also clinical lead for the HRC-funded PIPER study, which is the largest study of treatment and outcomes of colorectal cancer ever undertaken in New Zealand. The project is 18 months into a three-year term, and is progressing very well.
The Oncology Research Group has also recently expanded and now employs a Haematology Research Nurse in order to extend its research activities into benign and malignant Haematology. Seed funding for this position was generously provided by the Ruth Spearing Trust.
Staff in the Oncology Research Group
- Dr Louise Bremer Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Shingi Chiruka Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Shaun Costello Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr David D'Cruz Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Christopher Jackson Senior Lecturer
- Dr Lyndell Kelly Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Bridget McDiarmid Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Blair McLaren Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Annette Neylon Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr John North Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Sharon Pattison Senior Lecturer