A full-time placement undertaken in an approved medical immunology laboratory over a period of one semester.
|Paper title||Clinical Immunology|
|Subject||Medical Laboratory Science|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1
Semester 2 (Distance learning)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,398.00|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- MELX 409
- Limited to
Available to students who have passed all second- and third-year Medical Laboratory Science papers.
- Teaching staff
Paper Convenor: Dr Warren McBurney
Supervisor: Clinical diagnostic laboratory staff
- Paper Structure
- Key Modules:
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Diagnosis of hepatitis virus infections
- Principles and application of flow cytometry
- Food allergens
- Teaching Arrangements
This Distance Learning paper is taught remotely.
This paper is a 15-week, distance-taught placement working in a clinical diagnostic laboratory within New Zealand and Australia.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking,
Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the paper will:
- Demonstrate in-depth learning of selected current and emerging topics in immunology
- Be able to carry out in-depth literature searches on the topics, collate and critically evaluate the information, and produce a cohesive written report
- Demonstrate a professional attitude in their clinical placement and the ability to work as a team member
- Extend their knowledge base in diagnostic immunology techniques
- Be able to follow laboratory protocols set out by their host laboratory
- Develop an understanding of quality-control issues in the workplace