A full-time placement undertaken in an approved rural or smaller provincial laboratory over a period of one semester.
|Paper title||Medical Laboratory Science for Rural Health|
|Subject||Medical Laboratory Science|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1 (13 February 2023 - 21 June 2023)
Semester 2 (26 June 2023 - 11 November 2023) (Distance learning)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,398.00|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Limited to
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- Teaching staff
Paper Convenor: Associate Professor Heather Brooks
- Teaching Arrangements
This Distance Learning paper is taught remotely.
This paper is a 15-week, distance-taught placement working in a clinical diagnostic laboratory within New Zealand.
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking,
Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfuly complete this paper will:
- Gain competency in technical procedures across the major disciplines in Medical Laboratory Science
- Gain an understanding of the theory accompanying such procedures, and interpretation of patient results
There will be an opportunity for the student to interact with both patients and clinicians.