A postgraduate research opportunity at the University of Otago.
- Academic background
- Health Sciences
- Host campus
- Master’s, PhD
- Preventive and Social Medicine (Dunedin)
- Professor Sarah Derrett, Associate Professor Emma Wyeth, Dr Helen Harcombe
Some funded student research opportunities are available within POIS-10 or POIS-10 Māori depending on the topic selected.
A range of topics are available using data collected as part of the ‘Prospective Outcomes of Injury Study: 10 years on’ (POIS-10), ‘POIS-10 Māori: Outcomes and experiences in the decade following injury’, and the ‘Subsequent Injury Study’, which have all been funded by the Health Research Council of New Zealand. Between 2007 and 2009, 2856 injured New Zealand citizens or residents (including 20% Māori; n=566) were recruited to POIS. Participants completed a series of in-depth interviews asking about their experiences of health services, recovery, health, disability, social, financial and well-being outcomes at a range of time-points post-injury.
Participants in POIS-10 and POIS-10 Māori are currently being interviewed again – 10-13 years after the injury that led to their original participation in POIS. Data about injuries (and services received) has been, and is being, collected from ACC and hospital records with participants’ consent.
A range of research topics are available including quantitative and qualitative projects. For example:
- HRQoL and/or wellbeing outcomes
- Māori participants’ outcomes
- Outcomes for people experiencing particular types of injury (e.g. head injuries)
- Pacific peoples’ outcomes
- Injuries occurring in specific locations (e.g. in the home)
- Relationships between alcohol & illicit drug use, injury and outcomes
- Chronic conditions and their relationship to injury, health and wellbeing
- Financial outcomes and/or economic quality-adjusted life year (QALY) topics
Please note student researchers will need to mainly be Dunedin-based to undertake their research. Applicants are also encouraged to explore the University of Otago's postgraduate scholarships.
ContactProfessor Sarah Derrett
Tel +64 3 479 7221 or +64 21 113 4832