General Surgery provides acute and elective surgical services, including tertiary specialist care, for the Southern District. This includes colorectal surgery, upper gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary surgery, breast and endocrine surgery, and trauma.
Teaching is a major focus with involvement in undergraduate medical education at all levels, and major involvement with fourth-year and sixth-years (Trainee Intern) students.
The Department also offers accredited postgraduate training positions in General Surgery and has a number of medical and non-medical postgraduate students. There are clinical and laboratory research opportunities and strong links with other laboratory science researchers in Otago Medical School and the University of Otago.
General surgeons at Dunedin Hospital
- Mr Andrew Audeau Professional Practice Fellow
- Mr Thomas Elliott Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Mr James Haddow Senior Lecturer
- Dr Michael Hunter Professional Practice Fellow
- Mr Michael Landmann Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Professor John McCall McKenzie Chair in Clinical Science
- Mr Graeme Millar Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Mr Stephen Packer Clinical Reader
- Dr Simone Petrich Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Mr Jon Potter Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Mr Mark Smith Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Associate Professor Mark Thompson-Fawcett Associate Professor
- Mr John Woodfield Senior Lecturer
- Dr Deborah Wright Senior Lecturer