Study postgraduate Economics at Otago University and give yourself exciting career options
Learn from leading experts, committed to outstanding teaching and research. The Department offers a variety of postgraduate options – all combining rigorous academic standards with real-world, practical insights.
Each of our degree programmes is designed to develop the skills needed by professional economists working as high-level analysts in government agencies, large businesses, and consultancies. In addition, our Master degrees offer a path towards a PhD.
Our reputation for academic and research excellence attracts students and staff from throughout New Zealand and around the world.
• One year programme
• 4x to 6x 400-level papers (depending on degree) plus research dissertation
• Entry in Semester 1 or Semester 2
• Entry requirement: B average in third year papers (incl. Econ 375 and 377)
Reserve Bank of New Zealand (RBNZ), United Nations, New Zealand Treasury, Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI), Ministry for Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT), Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), PWC, Deloitte, Ernst & Young, Landcare, Commerce Commission, StatsNZ, Pharmac, and others.
Postgraduate Economics programmes
Economics programmes available at the postgraduate level are:
- Postgraduate diplomas (PGDipArts, PGDipCom and PGDipSci).
These are primarily taught-course programmes taken over two semesters (full-time).
- Honours degrees (BA(Hons), BCom(Hons) and BSc(Hons)).
These combine a taught component with a compulsory research dissertation taken over two semesters (full-time).
- Masters’ degrees (MEcon, MA, MCom and MSc).
These combine a taught component taken over two semesters (full-time), followed by a substantial research thesis. However, if you have a suitable background, the MA and MCom can be instead taken as a one-year research thesis-only programme.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
This is a research-only degree taken over at least two and a half years.
Scholarships for international students
Pursue your postgraduate study at the University of Otago with an international scholarship
Postgraduate research videos
The University of Otago has produced a number of short videos that showcase work by postgraduate students at Otago.
- Watch the research story of Economics postgraduate student Alvin Etang Ndip and his supervisor David Fielding (1 minute 59 seconds - 6.3MB).
- Watch other postgraduate research videos from across the University.