Reading Recovery Tutor
Higher Diploma Teaching, Graduate Diploma Reading Recovery
As a Reading Recovery Tutor:
I have trained and provided ongoing professional development in literacy processing theory and practice to all kaiako in the Southland and Central Otago for the past 17 years including workshops and the networking between schools.
My experience includes:
The implementation of Reading Recovery across the region focussing on achieving accelerated progress for six year old learners who have reading and writing difficulties.
Through ongoing guidance kaiako will work to develop productive partnerships with classroom kaiako and all families, whānau and aiga. I support Reading Recovery kaiako to use reflective theory and practice to strengthen and personalise teaching to help individual ākonga.
I build strong understanding of current best practice in Early Literacy through:
- Supporting schools in developing a strategic plan in early literacy to ensure all ākonga reach their potential
- Fostering effective literacy understanding and practice
- Providing opportunities for kaiako to review current relevant literature and applying this to their practice
- Upskilling kaiako in the use of early assessment procedures
- Encouraging strong relationships with whanau and aiga
My expertise includes
- Applying culturally responsive pedagogy across all aspects of learning
- Deepening understanding of the reading and writing processes
- Providing Tier 2 support for schools implementing Early Literacy Support
- Working with kaiako and leaders on proven teaching approaches
- Problem solving lesson design to best meet the needs of individual and small groups