An opportunity for Social Sciences teachers to extend their knowledge, skills, attitudes and values essential to tailoring teaching in the Social Sciences to address the intent of the NZ Curriculum
We support teachers by:
- Providing professional development in the teaching, learning and assessment of Social Science Year 7 – 11 to incorporate Social Inquiry processes and thinking
- Building pedagogical practice in the Social Sciences to support 21st century learners
- Helping teachers to inquire into their practice by using their knowledge, data and tools
- Evaluating the impact of an inquiry into practice
This will be achieved through working in-depth with a team of teachers in a school, or with a group of schools as a cluster. The support includes regular visits to meet with focus teachers, observations, wananga each term to share progress of target students, professional development with curriculum groups.
The facilitation support might include:
- Developing teachers’ knowledge of literacy approaches to support the range of Social Sciences as well as the development appropriate process skills
- Building skills in ways of using data to improve learning and achievement in Social Sciences
- Sharing practices that help students to learn and achieve in the Social Sciences
- Tailoring a programme to meet the needs of students using authentic and complex settings.
Phone: (03) 479 4907