The University of Otago College of Education offers a wide range of opportunities and qualifications; if you want to inspire in the classroom or better understand the educational influences in our society, the College of Education will have a programme for you.
Download the College of Education Prospectus for Initial Teacher Education and Education.
We offer Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programmes in:
- Early Childhood Education
- Primary Education
- Te Pōkai Mātauranga o te Ao Rua (Primary Bicultural Education)
- Secondary Education
As places in our ITE programmes are limited, we invite you to apply with applications by the due date each year – check the application dates.
Read more about applying to an ITE programme.
For those who may not want to teach, but are interested in education:
Graduates of our teaching programmes will be well prepared to work with children and young adults, and will gain a broad range of skills in communication, organisation, management, creativity and adaptability. This makes our graduates highly employable - read about the employment statistics of our graduates.
Many of our graduates will pursue life-long careers in teaching but graduates may also move into a variety of exciting careers such as museum or zoo education officers, Ministry of Education policy analysts, journalists, children's television presenters, college/university/polytechnic lecturers, youth support workers, teachers of English overseas, children's advocates and more.
Do you require a copy of your academic transcript, qualification certificate (testamur), statement of completed qualification, enrolment status letter, or detailed information related to your ITE programme?
- From October 2017 the following official documents are available on My eQuals* to current and past University of Otago students:
- Qualification certificates (testamurs)
- Statements of completed qualifications
- Enrolment status letter
* This does not include documents for:
- University of Otago students who studied prior to 1977
- Former Dunedin College of Education transcripts and testamurs
- The Kindergarten qualification prior to 1974
- If your certificate was issued at a graduation ceremony held prior to September 2017, please contact the Graduation Office to enquire about obtaining a digital certificate via the My eQuals portal.
- If you graduated prior to October 2017, a copy of your qualification certificates (testamurs) can be obtained by emailing a request to the Graduation Office.
- A hard copy of your original certificate can be produced only if it has been lost, damaged, or destroyed. To enquire about obtaining a hard-copy replacement of your certificate please email the Graduation Office. Replacements cost $75 (plus courier) per qualification, and take 4 to 6 weeks to process.
- If you are a University of Otago student who studied prior to 1977 or a former student of the Dunedin College of Education and require a copy of your transcript, qualification certificate (testamur), and/or Kindergarten qualification prior to 1974, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request these types of documents, as they are not available via My eQuals.
- For specific information relating to initial teacher education (ITE) programmes, please complete the online application and make payment.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are unable to 'proceed to payment' when using either Chrome or Internet Explorer please use Firefox as your Internet browser.
International travel and study
Student exchange programme at Otago
The University of Otago operates a student exchange programme with other international institutions. Our international ties enable you to gain international learning experience while studying at the College of Education. An overseas exchange looks great on your CV and is an experience of a lifetime.
International study is usually undertaken at undergraduate level within Education Studies. Acceptance into the programme is based on academic merit – so make sure you concentrate on your studies if this is your aim!