By undertaking Catechetical Studies alongside a teaching degree students gain the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to teach Religious Education.
This qualification prepares teacher education students to teach in Catholic and integrated schools. An integrated school is a school within the State education system that has the right to reflect, through its teaching, a special religious or philosophical character.
This course is offered by the Catholic Education office in co-operation with the University of Otago's College of Education, and Department of Theology and Religious Studies. All papers are taught at the College of Education and some papers can form part of your College degree.
This programme is offered at both our Dunedin and Southland (Invercargill) campuses.
This is an optional programme open to all students enrolled in a primary education programme of an initial teacher education degree at the College of Education.
It is of particular interest to those seeking career and job opportunities in Catholic or other integrated schools.
The course is organised into four main areas which are studied over two years alongside your teacher education degree:
- Theology - CHTH111: Doing Theology. Explores basic questions about God, belief, knowledge, and human nature.
- Scripture - BIBS215: Special Topic: The Bible in Religious Education. An introduction to the Old and New Testaments.
- Religious Education - Gain an understanding of the Religious Curriculum and Programme, faith development, the role of the teacher and assessment in religious education.
- Professional Practice - Teaching Practice in a Catholic Integrated School.
This programme is offered over a period of two years. In 2021 you will enrol in:
BIBS 215 Bible in Religious Education
When enrolling as a first year student, you will receive notification that you do not have enough points to enrol in this paper. Please contact Ask Otago, phone 0800 80 80 98 and request 'special permission' to enrol in the paper. Once approved, the paper will be added to your programme. If this does not occur within two weeks, please contact the Catechetical Studies Coordinator.
For further information, please contact the Catechetical Studies Coordinator:
If you are wanting to enrol, please ensure you provide your contact details including:
• Contact number
• Teaching programme you are registering for, e.g. Bachelor of Teaching (Primary Education)
Registration for Catechetical Studies closes:
Early February (no mid-year intake), please contact the Catechetical Studies Coordinator, or College of Education Ask Otago prior to this.