Our Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programmes enable you to become a qualified teacher in Early Childhood, Primary or Secondary Education.
Restricted entry applies to these programmes - you must apply and be offered a place. Applications are to be submitted online.
To be sure teaching is the career path for you, it is strongly recommended that intending applicants approach a school or centre, to arrange to spend a day observing a typical day’s teaching, prior to submitting your application.
Bachelor of Teaching (three-year undergraduate degree)
- The application period for study in 2021 is over, however late applications may be considered. Please contact the College of Education to discuss this (contact details are at the bottom of the page).
- Applications for study in 2022 will open in early May 2021, and are expected by 31 August 2021.
Master of Teaching and Learning (one-year postgraduate degree)
- Applications for study in 2020 are now closed.
- Applications for study in 2022 will open in early May 2021, and are expected by 31 July 2021.
Application closing dates vary for the following, offered at the Dunedin Campus:
- Education courses and programmes
- Postgraduate programmes - for further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are intending to apply for any of our ITE programmes, please refer to the links below for a step-by-step guide about the application process:
- Information for new Bachelor of Teaching (BTchg) applicants
- Information for new Master of Teaching and Learning (MTchgLn) applicants
- Information for students who need to be safety checked under the Children's Act 2014
- University of Otago entrance requirements
Intending MTchgLn (Secondary Education) applicants can check the minimum requirements (pre-requisites) for each secondary school teaching subject, by referring to:
- Table of Secondary Curriculum Subjects
All applicants who apply for our ITE programmes are required to participate in an interview. The purpose of the interview is to assess your suitability for teacher education and a subsequent career in teaching. To assist you to prepare for the interview, please read:
- Interview Information for Applicants
- Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand Our Code Our Standards: Code of Professional Responsibility and Standards for the Teaching Profession.
For more information on these programmes, follow the links below, then use the yellow "Apply Now" button to apply.
|Bachelor of Teaching (BTchg)||Master of Teaching and Learning (MTchgLn) |
|3-year programme||1 extended academic year of postgraduate study|
|Early Childhood Education||Available at the Dunedin and Southland campuses||Dunedin only|
|Primary Education||Available at the Dunedin and Southland campuses||Dunedin only|
|Te Pōkai Mātauranga o te Ao Rua (Primary Bicultural Education) ||Only available at the Southland Campus, Invercargill||N/A|
|Secondary Education||N/A||Dunedin only|
If you have any questions about our Initial Teacher Education programmes:
For support with the online application process: