Monday, 29 March 2021
Members of the Department collected two UOC Research Gold Medals, six UOC Value Awards and four Christchurch Medical Student Association (CMSA) Teaching Awards at the UOC Academic Welcome ceremony last week.
Our Client Service Administrators and their colleagues around the campus also won the Robin Fraser Research Supporter of the Year award.
Our 2021 award winners:
UOC Research Gold Medal
- Assoc Prof Anitra Carr (Nutrition in Medicine Research Group)
- Assoc Prof Gabi Dachs (Mackenzie Cancer Research Group)
UOC Value Awards
- Dr Stef Bozonet (Centre for Free Radical Research) – Acknowledgement of Collaboration: For the tasks she undertakes in her research group that are in addition to her normal research activities to ensure the group functions well; and for her support of the UOC Lab Manager in matters of biological safety and MPI compliance, and covering for the Lab Manager when he is on leave.
- Allison Miller (Gene Structure and Function Lab) – Acknowledgement of Collaboration: For her work as a key member of the Gene Structure and Function Lab for nearly three decades; and for her willingness to support students and staff from many other groups with her knowledge of experimental methods and operation of lab equipment.
- Assoc Prof Margaret Currie (Mackenzie Cancer Research Group) – Acknowledgement of Respect: For her deep empathy and for always taking the time to listen and provide thoughtful advice to both students and staff.
- Dr Leon Smyth (Centre for Free Radical Research) – Acknowledgement of Respect: For his hard work in successfully keeping the UOC Research Seminar Series going through lockdown and making it accessible to all by introducing zoom links for all seminars.
- Cathy Mulligan, Alice Milnes and Fran Cox (Client Services Administration) – Acknowledgement of Respect: For their outstanding work in supporting academic staff and students during the trying times of the lockdown period and then moving from one Alert level to another to ensure teaching of students, etc, continued.
- Eleanor Burgess (Mackenzie Cancer Research Group) – Acknowledgement of Leadership: For her work and contribution to PSOC in 2020, not only as Social Rep but for also stepping up and taking on the role of President for the second half of the year.
Robin Fraser Research Supporter of the Year Award
- The entire UOC Client Services Administration team
CMSA Teaching Awards
- CMSA Best Vertical Module Fourth Year Class – Haematology (Sean MacPherson)
- CMSA Best Vertical Module Fifth Year Class – Haematology (Sean MacPherson)
- CMSA Best Vertical Module Teacher Fourth Year Class – Sean MacPherson
- CMSA Best Vertical Module Teacher Fifth Year Class – Sean MacPherson