About the setup
The system we have is a cold cathode system. There are a few parts to this equipment:
- Main equipment
- We have an Olympus BX41 microscope with a trinoc head
- The stage is a technosyn Cold cathode stage
- The control unit controls a standard vacuum pump, the gun and current
- Image capture part
- We have a custom mount and a Canon 1100D digital Single Lens Reflex (dSLR) camera that are attached to the third port on the trinoc head of the microscope
- There is a computer that is used to control the camera, store the saved images and add scale bars etc.
Here are some sample images with captions supplied by Alex Wilson.