BSc(Auck) MSc PhD DIC(Lond) FRS FGS FRSNZ
60 Brabant Drive
Mapua 7005, Tasman District
Phone: +64-3-540-3713 (or +64-3-304-8003 - Takamatua)
- Structural analysis of the 2010-2012 Canterbury Earthquake Sequence.
- Seismotectonics of active compressional inversion in NE Honshu and the physical conditions of seismogenesis along subduction megathrusts.
- Working with researchers from DPRI in the University of Kyoto and Tohoku University (Sendai) establishing a 50 instrument seismic array in the northern South Island to investigate conditions of seismogenesis in the Buller region of active compressional inversion. A particular focus of this research is establishing the extent to which earthquake rupturing occurs in fluid-overpressured crust
- Convenor (with D. Healy, Z. Shipton, and R. Butler) of 'Stress Controls on Faulting, Fracturing and Igneous Intrusion in the Crust' – a meeting commemorating the contributions of Ernest Masson Anderson - held at the University of Glasgow, September 6-8, 2010, now published as 'Faulting, Fracturing, and Igneous Intrusion in the Earth's Crust' (2012), Geol. Soc. Lond Spec. Publ. 367.
- Awarded the Wollaston Medal of the Geological Society, London in 2010.
- Given the 2011 Career Contribution Award by the Structure and Tectonics Division of GSA in 2011.
- Recently invited by the Tectonophysics Division of AGU to give the 2012 Francis Birch Lecture at the Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union - talk will be titled 'Inside a Crustal Earthquake - the Rock Evidence'.
- Sibson, R.H. 2005: Hinge-parallel fluid flow in fold-thrust belts: how widespread? Proceedings of the Geologist’s Association 116, 1-9.
- Sibson, R.H. 2005: Earthquakes from fault rupture: the scientific impact of the 1855 Wairarapa earthquake. Proceedings of the 1855 Earthquake Symposium, Sept. 8-10, 2005, Te Papa, Wellington, p. 42-48.
- Begbie, M.J. & Sibson, R.H. 2006. Structural controls on the development of fault-hosted scheelite-gold mineralization in Glenorchy, NW Otago, New Zealand. In, A. Christie & R. Brathwaite (eds.) Mineral Deposits of New Zealand, Aust. Inst. Min. Metall. Mon. 25, 291-298.
- Sibson, R.H. 2006: Charles Lyell and the 1855 Wairarapa Earthquake in New Zealand: recognition of fault rupture accompanying an earthquake. Seismological Research Letters 77, 358-363.
- Sibson, R.H. 2006: Au-quartz mineralization near the base of the continental seismogenic zone. Geological Society, London, Special Publication 272, 521-534.
- Ghisetti, F. & Sibson, R.H. 2006: Accommodation of compressional inversion in northwestern South Island (New Zealand): old faults versus new? Journal of Structural Geology 28, 1994-2010.
- Sibson, R.H. & Toy, V. 2006: The habitat of fault-generated pseudotachylyte: presence vs. absence of friction-melt. In, R. Abercrombie, A. McGarr, H. Kanamori, and G. Di Toro (eds.), Radiated Energy and the Physics of Faulting, AGU Geophysical Monograph 170, 153-166.
- Sibson, R.H. 2007: An episode of fault-valve behaviour during compressional inversion? – the 2004 MJ6.8 Mid-Niigata Prefecture, Japan, earthquake sequence. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 257, 188-199.
- Ghisetti, F., Gorman, A. & Sibson, R.H. 2007: Surface break-through of a basement fault by repeated seismic slip episodes: the Ostler Fault, South Island, New Zealand. Tectonics, doi:10.1029/2007TC002146.
- Sibson, R.H. 2008: Geoviolence - Earthquakes as Drivers of Geological Processes, in A Continent on the Move: New Zealand Geoscience into the 21st Century, Graham, I. (ed.), GSNZ Misc. Publ. 24, 377pp.
- Sibson, R.H. 2009: Rupturing in overpressured crust during compressional inversion: the case from NE Honshu, Japan. Tectonophysics 473, 404-416.
- Sibson, R.H. 2009: Rupturing in the overpressured crust of NE Honshu – Mesozonal mineralization in the making. 10th Biennial Meeting of SGA (Townsville, Australia), August 16-20, 2009.
- Barker, S.L.L., Sibson, R.H., Palin, J.M., Fitzgerald, J.D., Reddy, S., Warr, L.N., and van der Pluijm, B.A. 2010: Cretaceous age, composition, and microstructure of pseudotachylyte in the Otago Schist, New Zealand. N.Z. J. Geol. Geophys., 53, 15-29.
- Fagereng, A, Remitti, F., and Sibson, R.H. 2010: Shear veins observed within anisotropic fabric at high angles to the maximum compressive stress. Nature Geoscience 3, 482-485.
- Fagereng, A. and Sibson, R.H. 2010: Mélange rheology and seismic style. Geology 38, 751-754.
- Sibson, R.H. 2011. Megathrusts, megavalving, and mineralization: Perturbation of hydrothermal and magmatic flow systems by subduction thrust rupturing. Proceedings 8th International Mining Geology Conference, Queenstown NZ, August 22-24, 2011.
- Sibson, R.H., Ghisetti, F.C., and Ristau, J. 2011. Stress control of an evolving strike-slip fault system during the 2010-2011 Canterbury, New Zealand, earthquake sequence. Seismological Research Letters 82, 824-832
- Fagereng, A, Remitti, F., and Sibson, R.H. 2011: Incrementally developed slickenfibers – geological record of repeating low stress-drop seismic events. Tectonophysics 510, 381-386.
- Sibson, R.H. 2011: The scope of earthquake geology. In Geology of the Earthquake Source: A Volume in Honour of Rick Sibson, ed. A. Fagereng, V. Toy, and J. Rowland, Geological Society of London Special Publication 359, 319-331.
- Sibson, R.H. 2012: Reverse fault rupturing: competition between ‘Andersonian’ and ‘Non-Andersonian’ orientations. In: Faulting, Fracturing and Igneous Intrusion in the Earth’s Crust, ed. D. Healy, R.W.H. Butler, Z.K. Shipton, and R.H. Sibson, Geological Society, London, Special Publication 367, 39-50.
- Sibson, R.H., Ghisetti, F.C., and Crookbain, R.A. 2012: ‘Andersonian’ wrench faulting in a regional stress field during the 2010-2011 Canterbury, New Zealand, earthquake sequence. In: Faulting, Fracturing and Igneous Intrusion in the Earth’s Crust, ed. D. Healy, R.W.H. Butler, Z.K. Shipton, and R.H. Sibson, Geological Society, London, Special Publication 367, 7-18.
- Healy, D., Sibson, R.H., Shipton, Z.K., and Butler, R.W.H. 2012: Stress, faulting, fracturing, and seismicity: the legacy of Ernest Masson Anderson. In: Faulting, Fracturing and Igneous Intrusion in the Earth’s Crust, ed. D. Healy, R.W.H. Butler, Z.K. Shipton, and R.H. Sibson, Geological Society, London, Special Publication 367, 1-6.
Sibson, R.H. 2013: Stress switching in subduction fore-arcs: Implications for overpressure containment and strength cycling on megathrusts. Tectonophysics – under review.
Also See Publications
- Julie V. Rowland - Hydrothermal Fluid Redistribution in a Magmatic Continental Rift: the Ruaumoko Rift System, Taupo Volcanic Zone, New Zealand (2001).
- Michael J. Begbie - Regional Development of an Extensional Fault-Fracture Network in the Mid-Crust: the Glenorchy Vein Swarm, NW Otago, New Zealand (2003).
- John G. Scott - Structural Controls on Gold-Quartz Vein Mineralisation in the Otago Schist, New Zealand (2005)
- Virginia G. Toy - Rheology of the Alpine Fault Mylonite Zone: Deformation at and below the Base of the Seismogenic Zone in a Major Plate Boundary Structure (2007).
- Ake Fagereng - Subduction Related Fault Processes - Ancient and Active (2009).
- Caroline Orchiston (jointly with Tourism) - Tourism and Seismic Risk: Perceptions, Preparedness and Resilience in the Zone of the Alpine Fault, Southern Alps, New Zealand (2010).