Tel +64 3 479 8884
Academic qualifications and roles at the University
DPhil (Oxford), MMus (London), BA (Hons)(Dartington), LTCL (tchg), LTCL (perf)
- Programme Coordinator, Performing Arts Studies, 2002 to 2004
- Head of Music Department, 2006 to 2012
- Associate Dean International, Division of Humanities, 2014 to Semester 1, 2016
- Co-Director, Asian Migrations Research theme, 2012 to present
- Associate Director, Centre for Global Migrations, 2017 to present
- Asian music diaspora
- Asian studies
- Performing arts studies
- Anthropology of music
- Anthropology of Japan
- Asian musics
- Musical instruments and performing arts
- Japanese musics, musical instruments and performing arts
- Music in New Zealand
Johnson, H. (2014). The Shakuhachi: Roots and Routes (Leiden: Brill).
Gunji, S., and Johnson, H. (2012). A Dictionary of Traditional Japanese Musical Instruments: From Prehistory to the Edo period (Tokyo: Eideru Kenkyujo).
Johnson, H. (2010). The Shamisen: Tradition and Diversity (Leiden: Brill)
Edmond, J., Johnson, H., and Leckie, J. (eds). (2011). Recentring Asia: Histories, Encounters, Identities (Leiden: Brill).
Prentice, C., Devadas, V., & Johnson, H. (eds). (2010). Cultural Transformations: Perspectives on Translocation in a Global Age (Amsterdam: Rodopi).
Johnson, H., & Jaffe, J. C. (eds). (2008). Performing Japan: Contemporary expressions of cultural identity (Folkestone: Global Oriental).
Johnson, H., Moore, E., and Patterson, R. (eds). (2006). Malaysian stopover: A classroom resource in Music, Art, English and Social Studies (Dunedin: Otago University Press).
Johnson, H., and Moloughney, B. (eds). (2006). Asia in the making of New Zealand (Auckland: Auckland University Press).