Grief is a normal part of life. We learn what's important to us and what’s not.
We can feel grief if we lose good things such as:
- people – through death or a relationship break-up or because a relationship changes
- health – through illness or accident
- things we own – by accident or theft
- places – through moving schools, house or city
- our place in the world – through losing a place on a team or a job, or because we have changed ourselves
The Ministry of Health has put together an information sheet with some normal reactions to grief and loss and some strategies on how to cope.
Chaplains at the University of Otago
The University of Otago Chaplains has produced a book on dealing with grief.