Sources of ionizing radiation are used in some laboratory areas, including X-ray analytical equipment and radionuclides (e.g. 32P or 14C).
In most cases, such equipment or materials will be required to be under the control of an individual who holds an appropriate Radiation Licence.
Regulations & University policy
The use of sources of ionizing radiation is regulated by the Radiation Protection Act (1965) and Regulations (1982) which is administered by the Office of Radiation Safety in the Ministry of Health.
Minimum requirements for use of sources of ionizing radiation are stipulated in Codes of Safe Practice that can be found on the Office of Radiation Safety website.
The University of Otago Radiation Safety Plan Code of Practice describes the general requirements for areas that use sources of ionizing radiation. As part of these requirements, departments, laboratories or other facilities that use sources of ionizing radiation must also have a Local Radiation Safety Plan that describes the sources of radiation to be used in that specific facility and how these will be managed to ensure the safety of staff, students, patients and the public.
For advice on radiation safety, please contact the Radiation Safety Advisor. (See contact details under Key Contacts).
Codes of Safe Practice
- Code of Safe Practice for industrial gauges containing sealed radioactive sources (PDF format, 232KB)
- Code of Safe Practice for unsealed radioactive materials (PDF format, 482KB)
- Code of Safe Practice for x-ray analytical equipment (PDF format, 151KB)
- Code of Safe Practice for x-rays and radioactive material in industrial radiography (PDF format, 242KB)
- Code of Safe Practice for x-rays in dentistry (PDF format, 138KB)
- Code of Safe Practice for x-rays in veterinary diagnosis (PDF format, 260KB)
- Safe practice for the use of industrial gauges (PDF format, 1.3MB)
- Safe practice for the use of x-ray analytical equipment (PDF format, 583KB)
- Safe practice for the use of 14C (PDF format, 424KB)
- Radiation protection for dentists & assistants (pamphlet) (PDF format, 136KB)
- Radiation protection in veterinary radiography (pamphlet) (PDF format, 260KB