BA in Japanese language teaching (Daito Bunka University, Japan)
MA in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (University of Canberra, Australia)
The experiences of native English speaking academics who work and live in Japan
The title of Naoko's PhD research is "The experiences of native English speaking teachers who work and live in Japan". This research aims to explore how native English speaking teachers working for universities in Japan negotiate their identities as native English speakers. The project will involve interviews with native English speaking teachers who work in Japanese higher education institutions and analysis of internationalisation policy documents, in order to investigate how higher education in Japan is being 'internationalised' in policy and practice.
Internationalisation of HE
Internationalisation policy and practice
Inoue, N., & Stracke, E. (2013). Non-native English speaking postgraduate TESOL students in Australia: Why did they come here? University of Sydney Papers in TESOL, 8, 29-56.
- Inoue, N. (2017). Negotiating identities while living and teaching in Japan: Native English speaking academics at Japanese universities. Paper presented at American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), Portland, USA
- Inoue, N. (2015). Living and teaching in Japan: Being a 'native' English speaking teacher at a Japanese university. Paper presented at Asia and Education Conference, Dunedin, New Zealand.
- Inoue, N. (2015). The experiences of native English speaking teachers who work and live in Japan. Paper presented at Exploring Japan through New Lenses: Emerging Themes in Japanese Studies, Melbourne, Australia.
- Inoue, N., & Stracke, E. (2013). Non-native English speaking postgraduate TESOL students in Australia: Why did they come here? Paper presented at the ALANZ & ALAA Conference 2013, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Inoue, N. (2013). A sociolinguistic study of the role of native English speaking assistant language teachers (ALTs) and Japanese teachers of English (JTEs). Paper presented at The Australian National University Japanese Studies Graduate Summer School, Canberra, Australia.