Student Learning Development offers writing and language development support for students studying at the University of Otago through our services:
- Peer Writers Peer writers are senior students trained to support 100 level students in their writing development .
- Conversational English Informal conversational English classes led by student volunteers who facilitate an opportunity for EAL students to ask language and culture-related questions in a safe environment, as well as providing a chance to meet others trying to improve their English .
- Language Mentors A conversational language programme in which you are partnered with a student or staff member to practice your English speaking skills.
- Writing & Language workshops We run a wide range of workshops on academic writing, language and presentation skills.
- Writing & Language resources We have a wide range of digital resources on academic writing, language and presentation skills.
- Talk to our Student Learning staff Talk to a learning adviser to find strategies for your specific writing, language and presentation needs.
Other Useful Links
Comma Queen. A video series from New Yorker copy editor, Mary Norris. Brief, to the point and delightful – watch Mary’s tips on grammar, syntax, vocabulary, spelling, usage, and punctuation.