CELS 191 and PHSI 191 are not prerequisites for second semester HSFY papers.
Therefore, if you fail CELS 191 and/or PHSI 191, but pass CHEM 191 and HUBS 191, then you can continue with HSFY in second semester.
Please note, even though you can continue with HSFY in second semester, you will be ineligible to apply for any of the Health Sciences professional programmes under the HSFY Category. (Other pathways to the Health Sciences professional programmes may be available to you.)
Instead of applying for a Health Sciences professional programme, you can enrol in other programmes such as a Bachelor of Biomedical Science or Bachelor of Science, or you can credit your passed papers towards a Commerce or Humanities degree. Furthermore, you could consider applying for the Bachelor of Dental Technology (BDentTech), Bachelor of Oral Health (BOH), or Bachelor of Radiation Therapy (BRT) programmes—which do not require HSFY.
Course advisors can discuss options with you.
If you’d like to do a Bachelor of Science (BSc), the Pathfinder tool may help you discover what major you’d like to enrol in:
There are many other options too, such as a Bachelor of Biomedical Science (BBiomedSc), or even crediting the papers you passed towards a non-Health Sciences degree.
Course advisors are also available to discuss options with you.
HSFY is the most common, but not the only, pathway to a Health Sciences professional programme. After completing at least two years of University study and/or after completing a New Zealand University bachelor’s degree, you may be eligible to apply under the following categories:
- Two or More Years of University Study Category
- Graduate Category
Health Sciences course advisers are available to discuss your options.
Course advisors will be available on 4–5 July 2019 and 8–9 July 2019 at Union Hall (map).
If you're unable to attend any of these sessions, you can make an appointment to speak to a course advisor another time:
Once you have chosen your new qualification:
- Log in to your eVision portal
- Add your new second semester qualification
- You will receive an offer to the new programme
- Accept the offer
- Cancel your enrolment in HSFY by completing a change of course form (online, or in-person at AskOtago)
- Friday, 12 July 2019 (5pm): Last day to add a second semester paper
- Friday, 26 July 2019: Last day to delete a second semester paper with a refund of fees
- Friday, 13 September 2019: Last day to withdraw from a second semester paper