Helpful links for Māori students
- Māori Students' Support Services
- Bridging Scholarships for students intending to proceed to Masters and PhD research
- Pānui – events
- Using Māori at the University
- Whānau Guide (PDF)
- Pacific Students Support
Kaiāwhina Māori — Māori Student Support Officer
The Division of Humanities Kaiāwhina Māori network is here to help students:
- access academic and pastoral support
- provide assistance with advocacy and scholarships,
- and liaise with Humanities departments regarding things Māori.
Our Divisional Kaiāwhina work with a team of Kaiāwhina across the Division.
The team of Kaiāwhina are also available to help with any queries or issues you may have.
Tēnā koutou katoa
The Kaiāwhina Māori role is held by Tenaya Brown.
Kia ora mai tātou,
Ko Titirangi te maunga
Ko Ūawanui-a-Ruamatua te awa
Ko Horouta te waka
Ko Puketāwai raua ko Hinemaurea ōku marae
Ko Te-Aitanga-ā-Hauiti te hapū
Ko Ngāti Porou te iwi
Ko Tenaya Hera-Maree Brown tōku ingoa.
I am beyond privileged to be given the opportunity to support our tauira (students) Māori in the Division of Humanities | Te Kete Aronui. I am a graduate of the School of Performing Arts and have high hopes to endeavour down a postgraduate teaching pathway. I look forward to meeting our first year tauira, making connections with all our support staff around campus and supporting all Humanities tauira with their academic studies and their journeys at the University of Otago.
As the support person for tauira Māori enrolled in Humanities papers and degrees, my key responsibilities are:
- To liaise with academic departments and support services with respect to any issues relating to you and your course of study
- To act as a point of contact for all Māori students enrolled in Humanities papers and degrees
- To facilitate access to pastoral care, student services, course planning advice within the university
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, feedback or concerns. Please be assured that all information you share will be treated with utmost confidentiality.
Tel +64 3 479 8681
Mobile +64 21 279 8681
Office hours Monday–Friday 9:00am–5:00pm
Please send me an email to make an appointment if you wish to meet at a time outside my regular office hours.
5th Floor, Burns Arts Building
Humanities Kaiāwhina contacts
Subject Librarian, Central Library
Subject Librarian, Robertson Library
Student Learning Centre contact
Tel +64 3 479 5788
Career Development Centre contacts
Tel +64 3 479 9149
Tel +64 3 479 5354