- To provide leadership in research activity for the Division, by promoting, fostering and facilitating research
- To provide leadership in implementation of research goals in the Divisional Strategic Plan, taking account particularly of the PBRF system and its impact
- To assist in the assessment of UORG applications in the Humanities and Social Sciences through participation in the University’s assessment panels
- To make recommendations to the PVC on the allocation and administration of research funds, including DRG applications and other research funding allocations
- To ensure that information is readily available to Divisional staff about research grant opportunities
- To provide strategic and practical advice to academic staff applying for research grants
- To advise the PVC, Deans and Heads of School on any matters which are referred to the Research Committee for advice, including strategic and management plans and goals, and the monitoring of the outcomes of these, insofar as they affect research in the Division
- The Associate Dean (Research), Convenor (ex officio)
- A representative from each of the following: Geography, Performing Arts, the College of Education, Faculty of Law, and Te Tumu: School of Maori, Pacific and Indigenous Studies; two representatives from each of the School of Arts and the School of Social Sciences; and two representatives of major research centres in the Division.
The Committee meets regularly through the year.
Convenor: Professor Hugh Campbell
- Associate Professor Nicolas Cullen, School of Geography
- Professor Andrew Geddis, Faculty of Law
- Dr Karen Greig, Research Centres
- Dr Bryndl Hohmann-Marriott, School of Social Sciences
- Dr Michael Ligaliga, Te Tumu
- Associate Professor Cecelia Novero, School of Arts
- Associate Professor Susan Sandretto, College of Education
- Associate Professor John Shaver, School of Social Sciences
- Professor Janet Stephenson, Research Centres
- Professor Sonja Tiernan, School of Arts
- Professor Stuart Young, School of Performing Arts
Business Development Manager, Research and Enterprise
Business Development Managers (BDMs) assist researchers with external funding opportunities. These include both research and commercial ventures where a University of Otago staff member might be involved. BDMs offer advice regarding funding opportunities, the contract process, intellectual property, and relationship management.
Dr James Rodgers
James supports the Division of Humanities and Division of Commerce.
Research Advisers support researchers with contestable funding processes. They advise on contestable funds, assist in the development of teams and proposals and undertake the subsequent negotiation and management of research contracts.
Natalie supports researchers in the School of Social Sciences, School of Geography, and College of Education.
Hours: Monday–Tuesday 9am–5pm | Wednesday–Thursday 9am–3pm | Friday by appointment
Location: 5.S.12, Arts Building, 95 Albany Street
Amarni supports researchers in the Faculty of Law, School of Arts, School of Performing Arts, and Te Tumu.
Hours: Monday–Friday 8:30am–5pm
Location: Wednesday–Friday 5.S.12, Arts Building | Monday–Tuesday 802, Microbiology and Immunology