A supervised research essay.
|Paper title||Research Essay|
|Points||20 points 20 points|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester, Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,142.40|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,661.93|
- Enrolment in this paper requires special approval from the Head of Department. Please contact the department before selecting this paper.
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- Teaching staff
Relevant texts will vary with student projects.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the research essay, students should be able to
- Demonstrate familiarity with a range of current positions on their topic
- Critically evaluate these positions
- Offer a well-developed oral argument for their own position
- Write clear, effective and detailed argument
- Demonstrate competence in technical skills related to their topic, which may include formal logic, textual interpretation, bibliographical, archival and foreign-language skills
- Demonstrate mastery of relevant literature, which will include works of philosophy. For interdisciplinary project students, the literature will include work in other fields as well, such as political science, economics, physics, biology, religion or history