There are a number of support services available for postgraduate students across the university.
The Graduate Research school organises support and workshops on aspects of postgraduate study such as thesis preparation, presenting research etc.
- Graduate Research School's web pages
- Facilities and support for postgraduate students
- Additional information for postgraduate students
Professional Training Programme for doctoral students
The Postgraduate Professional Training Programme is a short training programme for PhD students in the Humanities to obtain some skills, knowledge, and practice in academic lecturing. The course includes training in course design, assessment development, and lecture delivery. Participants will have the opportunity to deliver a lecture during the year. The course is designed for candidates looking for a future in academia.
The 2022 programme starts on Monday 20 June.
The programme has two specific aims:
- To provide students with skills, knowledge, and experience in the techniques of delivering lectures.
- To provide students with documented evidence of teaching for use on a CV or job application.
Structure of the programme
- Seminars: Students will attend five seminars introducing the teaching and learning principles involved in academic lecturing.
- Teaching observations: Students will be required to observe lectures during the semester.
- Lecturing: Students will be required to deliver at least one lecture during the semester.
The programme is open to currently enrolled Humanities PhD students who are in the middle or later years of their candidature. Acceptance into the programme will be determined through negotiation with the programme coordinator, the PhD student and the student’s supervisor. Factors that will determine acceptance into the programme include the student’s ability to commit to the course while continuing with their studies.
If you would like to participate in this programme, please contact the programme coordinator for further information. You may like to approach a paper coordinator to discuss whether you may be able to deliver a lecture in that paper.
Download a PDF of the Humanities Postgraduate Professional Training Programme (PDF document, 435 KB)
Student Job Search
Many departments also offer paid teaching positions to postgraduate students and Student Job Search (SJS) can find students temporary or casual part-time work.