A detailed introduction to the study of the Gospels, with exegesis of selected texts.
This paper offers a study of the critical issues and themes of each of the Gospels, of different facets of Jesus's ministry as portrayed in the Gospels, and an exegetical study of passages from Luke and John.
|Paper title||The Gospels|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2022 (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$929.55|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- 36 100-level points
- BIBS 321, BIBX 221, BIBX 321
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music, Theology
- Any student can study Theology, whether they are of the Christian faith, another faith or of no religious faith at all. Theology is an examination of the scriptures, history, content and relevance of the Christian faith, but it presupposes or requires no Christian commitment from students. All it requires is an inquiring mind and an interest in those skills that can be gained through the study of any subject in the Humanities.
- More information link
View more information on the Theology Programme's website
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
The paper is divided into modules that cover the nature of the Gospels, themes from each of the four canonical Gospels, a range of Gospel issues and an in-depth discussion of selected passages from the Gospels of Luke and John.
Assessment comprises a major assignment (30%), a minor assignment (10%) and a three-hour exam (60%).
- Teaching Arrangements
Campus: There will be one 2-hour lecture each week
Distance: Distance students are invited to join weekly videoconferences live, on Tuesdays 2.00-3.50pm. Recordings will be available on Blackboard for students who cannot attend at this time.
G.N. Stanton, The Gospels and Jesus (2nd edition; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002).
- Course outline
- View the course outline for BIBS 221
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Critical thinking.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
When you complete the paper at the 200-level, you will be able to
- Discuss critical issues associated with the study of each of the Gospels and one particular theme of significance for the study of each Gospel
- Assess the range of views concerning the genre and purpose of the Gospels
- Interpret selected texts using the methods of biblical interpretation