An extension of the communicative approach seeking to develop linguistic skills appropriate to students’ future career and social needs.
Are you interested in advancing your knowledge of one of the most important world languages? This paper aims to continue to build on basic skills in French through the study of current affairs.
|Paper title||Advanced French 2|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$904.05|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,954.75|
- FREN 333
- FREN 311 or FREN 331 or FREN 335 or any other more advanced French language paper
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Confirm page or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Suitable for undergraduate students in French who have completed FREN 333 (Advanced French 1). Classes are primarily delivered in French.
- Teaching staff
- Dr Christiane Leurquin
- Paper Structure
We undertake a tour of relevant issues and topics relating to contemporary life in France through texts and videos. We study the influence of France in the world and the evolution of the French language in other French speaking countries. Through grammar analysis and vocabulary learning, the course emphasise student improvement in aural and written comprehension, as well as speaking and writing.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Three lectures per week and one oral class per week.
- Teaching materials consist of a course pack available for purchase from Uniprint.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to:
- Communicate in French at an advanced level (B2 in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or CEFR), including aural comprehension
- Improve pronunciation
- Improve basic grammar
- Hone writing skills
- Expand vocabulary in a range of current topics
- Increase knowledge of contemporary France