Options for giving political expression to the good and satisfying demands through the market. How humane ideals, political prudence and economics are necessary to create a just world.
This paper examines thinkers from Plato, Marx and Mill to the present to trace the transition from giving political expression to the good life toward satisfying demands. The developments it analyses are the degeneration of moral philosophy and the rise of the market economy. We single out Tawney as a thinker who saw the need to tame the market rather than abolish it. The moral: thinkers who cannot argue economics cannot face the greatest challenge of the modern world - namely, how to humanise market capitalism.
|Paper title||The Good Society and the Market|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$886.35|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,766.35|
- One 100-level POLS paper or PHIl103 or 72 points.
- POLS 305
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- May not be credited together with POLS 233 passed in 2010-2017.
- An interest in national and international affairs is an advantage.
- Teaching staff
- Professor Jim Flynn
- Paper Structure
- Two thirds of the assessment will be based on the final exam; one third will be based on a research essay.
- There is a one-page outline for each lecture. The readings assigned on the outline are available either online or on reserve through the library. There is no particular priority - so read the book list and buy those that interest you most.
- Course outline
- View a sample course outline for POLS 205
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Knowledge of what humane ideals imply about perfecting society
- A basic grasp of the market economics needed to evaluate how the economy must be "regulated" to humanise it
- Specialist knowledge about certain great thinkers and the challenges of the present - for example, climate change