An introductory course in reading, writing, listening to, and speaking Spanish for students with no previous knowledge of the language.
Are you interested in learning to speak, read, write and understand basic Spanish while also learning about Hispanic culture? With over 400 million native speakers worldwide Spanish is truly a world language, and the ability to communicate in a second language will distinguish you from other graduates. As a beginners' paper, all you need is your interest, enthusiasm and energy; we can do the rest.
|Paper title||Introductory Spanish 1|
|Points||18 points 18 points|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester, Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$904.05|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,954.75|
- SPAN 132 or any other more advanced Spanish language paper
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- This paper is for beginners only and is not available to students who have passed NCEA Level 2 or 3 (or equivalent) in Spanish. For further information, contact the Programme Coordinator (email@example.com).
- Suitable for students with no prior knowledge of Spanish language
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
This paper is divided into four units, each of which introduces aspects of Spanish language and Hispanic culture.
- Teaching Arrangements
There will be 4 hours of lectures per week.
Blitt, Mary Ann, and Margarita Casas. Exploraciones (with MindTap) 3rd Edition, published 2020.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Information literacy, Self-motivation
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Knowledge-based outcomes:
- Demonstrate knowledge of introductory Spanish grammatical structures
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the varied cultural perspectives within the Hispanic world
- Demonstrate an ability to perform basic linguistic tasks (reading, writing, listening and speaking) in the target language
- Evidence increased self-confidence and risk taking with basic linguistic tasks
- Demonstrate an ability to express oneself creatively in simple written and oral tasks in the target language