The governing body of the University is the University Council. It consists of both appointed and elected members, and is headed by the Chancellor. It seeks the advice of Senate on matters of academic policy.
The functions of Council are to:
- appoint a chief executive in accordance with the State Sector Act 1988, and to monitor and evaluate their performance
- prepare, negotiate and adopt a charter for the University
- adopt a profile for the University
- ensure that the University is managed in accordance with its charter and its profile
- determine the policies of the University in relation to the implementation of its charter, the carrying out of its profile, and the management of its affairs (subject to the State Sector Act 1988)
A committee structure allows the University Council oversight of all University activities.