There are several components to a Job Evaluation request. Getting all the relevant documentation completed and approved will speed up the process. Prior to evaluation all the requirements outlined under the Professional Staff Appointment Policy need to be met.
Job Descriptions must be written using the University of Otago Job Description Template.
The University is in the process of changing to standard Job Descriptions written by the HR Organisational Design team. These JDs have a 'P number' and include the Capability Framework. They can only be used for the position specified and can only be changed by the Design team. They have already been evaluated prior to being available for use.
A Job Analysis Questionnaire is available to assist with writing a job description. You are not required to submit a questionnaire with the evaluation. However, it is recommended that you consider the questions when writing a job description. When writing a job description you should presume the position is being performed by someone fully competent in the role.
A Job Analysis Questionnaire will be required for Management Band evaluations This is to be completed by the incumbent (if possible) and the manager of the position being evaluated. The questionnaire may be used as a tool to assist when revising a job description.
Job Analysis Questionnaire
To request the evaluation of a new position or if the position has been evaluated prior to July 2017:
- Complete the Job Evaluation Form
- Prepare the Job Description using the template provided (if this position is based on an already existing Job Description, please advise which one)
- Provide the Job Description the supervisor or manager position of the role submitted for evaluation. If that has been evaluated prior to July 2017, then an updated Job Description in the current template is required as this position will also be evaluated as JE measures positions in relation to each other
- Include an organisational chart
- You may provide further information by completing the Job Analysis Questionnaire
- Email all the above documents to the Job Evaluation Committee Secretary at email@example.com
Following the Committee meeting, the Head of Department (and if appropriate the supervisor and incumbent) will be informed of the final level. If a change in salary results, placement will be as per the University Remuneration Policy.
The Job Evaluation Form needs to be used when you request the evaluation of a position. The form gives the Head of Department the responsibility to ensure that the appropriate processes are carried out prior to recruitment and appointment.
Some Divisions require that Job Evaluation requests go through the Division/School office, while others only require the signature of the Head of Department.
|Division||Job descriptions approved by:|
|Health Sciences||Divisional Office|
|Humanities ||Divisional Office|
|Academic Services ||Director's Office|
|Operations||Chief Operating Officer's Office / Director's Office|
|International||Office of the PVC|
|Shared Services||Director's Office|