Open to current Heads of Department, Directors of Centre and, for selected events, their nominees who hold a leadership role within the department or centre.
Given the structure at the University, Heads of Department and Directors are encouraged to consider both succession development of staff and distributed leadership. For example, nominating the Chair of the Postgraduate Committee to attend relevant workshops.
Core areas include:
- Developing leadership skills necessary for successful and effective leadership as Head of Department / Director
- Providing opportunities to maintain networks with peers and senior leaders
- Providing forums for discussion on topics of relevance to their leadership responsibilities
- Continuing opportunities for personal leadership development
- Workshops on a range of topics (e.g. Managing effective meetings, Workload models, Sustainability practices in departments, integrating the Māori Strategic Framework into departments, Working with others, External engagement)
- 1-3 day courses on leadership skills including communication (Process Communication Model TM) making the leadership role, adaptive leadership during transition.
- Simulations with professional actors to have important and courageous conversations
- Tutorials to practice skills learnt in communication courses