Open to new and incoming Academic Heads of Department and Directors of Centre who are nominated by Pro-Vice-Chancellors because their role is similar to that of a Head of Department. It provides induction to the Head of Department/ Director of Centre role. Participation is expected of those taking up the role.
Core areas include:
- Building skills and confidence as an academic leader in a research-focused University
- Understanding oneself and impact on others
- Leading people and transitions
- Developing departmental structures and processes in order to make sound decisions about staff, students, finances, teaching and research
- Providing relevant information about University processes and key contacts who can help academic leaders.
- Meeting with the Head of ALDP to develop a personal induction plan and identify key people in the University to meet
- Attendance at the annual 3 day Induction Course, 6 and 12 month follow-up 1 day courses
- Mentoring with a senior leader
- Core workshops on University processes and policies (Financial Management, Employment Decisions, Academic Policies relating to students)
- Peer learning group with other Heads of Department
- Access to selected relevant workshops and courses in the Being aHead programme