What is it?
The role of academic leader and manager is essential to enabling staff and students to develop professionally, guiding the direction of the academic unit, making decisions and achieving outcomes. This 12 month programme focuses on induction and development for new leaders in roles such as Academic Head of Department/Programme/School and Directors of Centre and Programme.
All participants have access to:
- the 3 day Induction Course and 1 day follow-up courses at 6 and 12 months
- developing with the Head of ALDP their personal induction plan including a series of induction meetings as part of establishing working relationships and understanding responsibilities on the role
- “nuts and bolts” workshops covering a range of topics including employment and financial responsibilities and practices
- leadership courses (e.g. communication skills, leading people)
- peer learning groups
- an experienced leader as a mentor
- working with an accredited external leadership coach
- formulating their own leadership development plan.
Induction Course 2021
The 3 day course held at Arana College in February 2021 included participants from Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin.
Facilitators were Professor Jessica Palmer, Professor James Maclaurin, Professor Richard Blaikie and Dr Alison Stewart.
Presenters included leaders from across the University including the Vice-Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellors and Pro-Vice-Chancellors.