Learning and Development offer a comprehensive range of training and development programmes and learning options. If a particular workshop would be useful for your whole team, please contact us as most workshops can be delivered as tailored sessions.
Creating a learning plan
We have put together a brief guide to help you get started on creating and prioritising your learning plan in the coming weeks.
- My learning plan (PDF)
Materials and resources
- Getting the most from learning opportunities
- Prioritizing learning opportunities
- Stop perfectionism from hurting productivity
- How being kind improves productivity
A number of our workshops are available via Zoom.
Along with our scheduled workshops, you can also access LinkedIn Learning for online training options.
As a staff member, you have free access to LinkedIn Learning. This is a site dedicated to online learning across many topics including technical skills, interpersonal skills, self-management and leading others. You can access individual videos, complete courses, and curated collections.
- Logging in
- Connecting accounts
- Connecting your LinkedIn profile (PDF)
- LinkedIn Learning drop-in sessions
GoSkills is free for all University of Otago staff and students, and covers a wide range of professional skills and computer applications.
- Access from any computer, tablet or mobile device with an Internet connection.
- Go to www.goskills.com/coupon and enter code OU2020. Then sign up or log in to your account.
- The email address for your account must end in otago.ac.nz
- Available until the end of 2020.
This eLearning is only accessible on a University of Otago campus.
Te reo and tikanga Māori
We run a programme of interactive workshops and information sessions. To keep up to date with our courses, you can subscribe to receive an updated calendar of events each month.
Subscribe to the calendar
Click a title to access further information and enrol.
As some of our courses are extremely popular we recommend that you enrol early.
If a course is full or there is no date, what are my options?
Contact us and have a chat.
If a course is full, a link will appear, which allows you to add your name to a waitlist. If enough people are on a waitlist, we will consider running another session.
For more information:
- Coaching for Performance Improvement
- Coaching Skills for Managers
- Leadership Byte: Values based leadership
- Leadership Byte: The role of leader in a VUCA context
- Leadership Byte: Finding your true north
- Management Skills: Building a Team from a Group of People
- Management Skills: Creating Effective Internal Communication
- Management Skills: Delegation
- Management Skills: Having Those Discussions
- Management Skills: Managing Within the University Environment
- Management Skills: Performance Management Frameworks
- Management Skills: Problem Solving - A3 Technique
- Management Skills: Providing Feedback Using BUILD Framework
- Management Skills: Role and Responsibility
- Management Skills: Understanding Reactions to Change
- PDR: having effective discussions
- Resilience: managers supporting resilience in their teams
- Responding to Disclosures
- Prosci® Fundamentals of Change Management
- Sharpening the Saw: Being an Effective Chair
- Sharpening the Saw: Building Blocks of Effective Teams
- Sharpening the Saw: Finance Overview
- Sharpening the Saw: Health and Safety Responsibilities of Managers
- Sharpening the Saw: Project Management Frameworks
- Sharpening the Saw: Risk Management Framework
- Sharpening the Saw: Selecting and Interviewing for the Best Person
- Sharpening the Saw: Sustainability
- Supervisory Skills: The Role of a Team Leader
- Supervisory Skills: Coaching
- Supervisory Skills: Communication
- Supervisory Skills: Delegation
- Supervisory Skills: Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Supervisory Skills: Looking Forward
- Supervisory Skills: Managing and Enhancing Performance
- Supervisory Skills: Planning
- Supervisory Skills: Team Diversity/Belbin Team Roles
- Supervisory Skills: Time Management/Decision Making
Key University Policies, Guidelines and Processes
- Academic misconduct and integrity – student matters
- Casual staff employment agreements and guidelines
- Children’s Act
- Conference leave, RSL – processes and considerations
- Conflict of interest
- Contextualising sustainability
- Critical incident policies
- Disputes – what managers need to know
- Domestic violence – what managers need to know
- Equity and diversity data and role of Equity Adviser
- Ethical behaviour policy
- Finance policy part 1: PCard and travel
- Finance policy part 2: Koha and gifts
- Fixed term employment guidelines and research permanent funded staff guidelines
- Flexible working arrangements for staff
- ICT Regulations: Social media – what staff and managers need to know
- Keeping yourself safe: Email and internet usage
- Learn about the residential college experience
- Leave – policies and processes which managers need to know
- Sexual misconduct policy
- Time off in lieu
- What staff need to know about University insurance policies to avoid costs and claims against the University
LinkedIn Learning collections
Additional online resources
This suite of workshops is designed to build technical skills and knowledge that can be applied within the workplace.
- Conflict of Interest and Fraud Prevention
- Connecting with Our Community: Disability Information and Support
- Connecting with Our Community: Career Development Centre
- Connecting with Our Community: Locals
- Connecting with Our Community: OUSA Student Suppot
- Connecting with Our Community: Pacific Islands Centre
- Connecting with Our Community: Social Impact Studio
- Connecting with Our Community: Student Development
- Connecting with Our Community: Student Learning Development
- Connecting with Our Community: Sustainability Office
- Connecting with Our Community: Te Whare Tāwharau
- Connecting with Our Community: University Union
- Copyright 101: Knowing what to do in the digital world
- Finding Stuff Online that you can Reuse – Legally!
- Get to Know Green Your Scene
- Influence and Persuasion
- Just a Minute: a guide for minutes and meetings
- Managing Information at the University
- Meetings: Organising them well
- Mentoring Skills
- Organisational Networking
- Presentation Skills in Practice
- Recruitment System Training
- Servicing Formal Committees
- Time Management: managing my distractions (Zoom)
- Time Management: finding the time to plan and organise
- Train the Trainer: working with adult learners
- Workplace Fundamentals: Communication
- Workplace Fundamentals: Customer Diversity
- Workplace Fundamentals: Customer Service
- Workplace Fundamentals: Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Workplace Fundamentals: Health and Wellness
- Workplace Fundamentals: Making the Most of My Learning
- Workplace Fundamentals: Personal Skills
- Workplace Fundamentals: Team Work
- Workplace Fundamentals: Professionalism
- Workplace Fundamentals: Writing Skills
LinkedIn Learning collections
- Continuous Learning and my Career
- Customer Service
- Listening to Customers
- Writing Effective Emails
- Communicating Confidently
- Communicating skills in practice
- Conflict: managing interpersonal relationships
- Leadership with a small 'L'
- Listen More, Talk Less
- Maintenance for the mind: balancing your positivity ratio
- Resilience: building emotional competence
- Resilience Toolkit (Zoom)
LinkedIn Learning collections
- Communication Basics
- Developing Your Emotional Intelligence
- Listening Skills
- Working Effectively in a Team
Additional online resources
Diversity and cultural competence
These workshops concentrate on areas of diversity and are designed to enhance understanding.
- Creating an Inclusive Environment: disability awareness
- International Students: cultural differences and their impact
- Learn te reo Māori
- Māori ki Otago
- Rainbow Tick Diversity & Inclusivity Training
Information sessions and training courses about policy and processes.
- Academic Promotion – Thinking of Applying?
- Job Evaluation Upgrade
- Parental Leave Information Seminar for Prospective and Intending Parents
- Planning for Retirement
At Otago there is a range of activities that cater for the needs of women (both academic and professional). The programme is run jointly between Human Resources (main contact is email@example.com) and HEDC.
- Mentoring Programme for Academic Women
- Mentoring Programme for Professional Staff
- Women in Leadership at Otago (WiLO) Programme
- New Zealand Women in Leadership (NZUWiL) Programmes for Academic and Professional Staff
Resources when working remotely
- Making it work - further tips and resources for managers (PDF)
- Making it work – further tips and resources for remote working (PDF)
- Settling into remote working – taking stock for managers after Week 1 of Alert Level 4 (PDF)
- Settling into Alert Level 4 remote working – further tips and resources for managers (PDF)
- Settling in and taking stock during Alert Level 4 remote working (PDF)
- Ten Top Tips: Effective online meetings (PDF)
- Tips for managing teams remotely in the first few weeks during the Alert Level 4 lockdown (PDF)
- Ten Top Tips: Managing remote teams (PDF)
- Tips for working remotely in the first few weeks during the Alert Level 4 lockdown (PDF)
- Ten Top Tips: Working remotely (PDF)
If you haven’t found what you’re looking for, or have any other professional development ideas, we would be happy to hear your suggestions.