Last updated January, 2021
The University of California family includes more than 220,000 students, more than 170,000 faculty and staff, 37,000 retirees and more than 1.5 million living alumni.
University of California campuses
- UC Berkeley
- UC Davis
- UC Irvine
- UC Los Angeles
- UC Merced
- UC Riverside
- UC Santa Barbara
- UC Santa Cruz
- UC San Diego
- Students wishing to attend the University of California on exchange will be required to apply to three different UC campuses and be prepared to attend any one of them. Admission to your first choice of campus is not guaranteed. The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) office will assess your application and decide which campus you will attend.
- Exchange is available only at Undergraduate level.
- Academic year at UCB (Berkeley) and UCM (Merced): August to May (Fall semester: August - December; Spring semester: January - May) / Academic year at all other UC campus: September to June (Fall quarter: September - December; Winter quarter: January - March; Spring quarte: April - June)
- Each University of California Campus has different course offerings and different requirements. Otago students must complete prerequisites prior to starting at UC.
- UC course level: Lower-division courses numbered 1–99 are introductory (Otago's 100); Upper-division courses numbered 100–199 are usually taken by students with some experience in the major (Otago's 200-300).
- Minimum/maximum course load: at least 13 semester units at most Berkeley colleges; at least 12 quarter units at all other UC campuses. Most UC students enrol in 14-17 units per term.
UC/Otago credit transfer guideline: UCB and UCM: 13 UC semester credits = 54 Otago points; UCSD, UCI, UCR, UCLA, UCSB, UCSC and UCD term credits: 12 UC = 36 UO; 16 UC = 54 UO; 24 UC = 72 UO; 36 UC = 126 UO
- Commerce students: Applicants to business or economics must be specializing in this field at home and meet prerequisites to apply. Applicants must be willing to attend any UC campus where their major is offered; At UC, the fields of business administration and economics are separate. Due to the high demand for these courses, UC cannot guarantee access to more than one major. If a UC campus has both majors, students must be prepared to select coursework in only one of their majors, that is business or economics; Marketing - UC does not have a major in Marketing and the few classes offered at UC in this subject can be found under Econ or Business Econ. Student should look into UCR (Business Administration), UCSD (Econ) or UCD (classes are listed under Econ or Agricultural and Resources Economics). Some flexibility is required because UC cannot guarantee that courses in Marketing will be offered or that students will get a space in class.
- Suitable Otago papers to meet UC's requirements: BSNS112, BSNS113, ECON112 (Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Statistics); FINQ 102 or MATH 160 (Calculus); STAT 110 or STAT 115 (Statistics for non-commerce students)
- UC will assist students in organizing accommodation for the duration of their exchange. Accommodation is however not guaranteed and students are encouraged to apply for their accommodation as soon as possible.
- Course information
- List of prerequisites
- UC Academic Calendar
- UC Housing and Insurance Information
- Estimated cost of living
- UCEAP Exchange Information
- Student Visa and Insurance information
- U.S Department of State
- UCSB 2018 S2 BA MFCO LH
- UCLA 2018 S2 BCom ECON SC
- UCB 2018 S1 BCom ECON AH
- UCSB 2018 S1 BA POLS CLAS GM
- UCLA 2018 S1 BA COMM JP
- UCB 2017 S2 BA EDUC AR
- UCD 2017 S2 BA SOCI RB
- UCB 2017 S1 BCom MART MANT AC
- UCLA 2017 S1 BSc GENE ZOOL ES
- UCSC 2017 S1 BA POLS ECON LH
- UCB 2017 S1 BA POLS SM
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange, please contact an Exchange Adviser.