Last updated January, 2021
Western University is one of the oldest and most beautiful universities in Canada. Western has 39,000 students, including 5,200 international students from 121 countries. The 12 faculties and schools and three affiliated colleges share an outstanding academic reputation and are recognized for offering the best student experience in Canada.
Set in the heart of Southwestern Ontario, London is the region’s economic, entertainment and cultural hub. With a population of more than 383,000, London is Canada’s 11th largest city and an ideal environment to work, play and live. Affectionately known as the Forest City, London sports numerous treed areas and public parks. There is an extensive trail system that runs along the Thames River, right onto Western’s campus, for walking, running, biking or inline skating.
- Undergraduate level exchange and indigenous exchange available.
- Academic Year: September - May (Fall Term: September - December; Winter Term: January - May).
- Minimum course load: 2.0 credits for semester exchange // 3.5 credits for full year exchange; maximum course load: 2.5 credits for semester exchange // 5.0 credits for full year exchange.
- Course numbering system: 1000 level courses are typically introductory level courses; 2000 level courses can vary between introductory and intermediate, depending on department/field of study; 3000 level courses are typically considered advanced; 4000 level courses are typically for students in their final year of an honors degree in that particular field of study. Many 4000 level courses have extensive prerequisites. 5000 and above courses denote graduate courses and are not available for exchange students.
- Workload: activity courses in Kinesiology are worth 0.25 credits; courses that run for a semester are worth 0.5 credits; courses that run over the entire academic year (September-April) are worth 1.0 credits.
- Students in a full course load typically have between 10 and 30 hours of work per week.
- Students applying to the Western University will not be allowed to take courses at Ivey Business School or at Western Law.
- Course restrictions
- Sessional dates
- Western fact sheet (PDF)
- Campus life
- Western Accommodation
- Incoming exchange information
- Ivey - Otago Fact Sheet
- Western Law - Otago Fact Sheet
- Disability services
- Information on student visas and insurance for students going on exchange
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange, please contact an Exchange Adviser.