Do you have an innovative idea to solve a global challenge? You could win the chance to present your idea at an international competition in Canada!
Why join the Challenge?
The World's Challenge Challenge is an exciting way to engage in discussion and debate about world issues such as climate change and poverty, and to bring your own ideas to the table. Global change starts with one idea, one discussion. Who knows where it may lead?
Who can participate
- Current University of Otago undergraduate and postgraduate students of good standing.
- Participating teams must consist of 2 to 4 members, ideally from different disciplines.
- A minimum of 2 members of the team must be in Dunedin for the final presentation on 15 Apr 2021.
- Teams are encouraged to bring together individuals from diverse backgrounds or areas of study.
- The 2021 World's Challenge Challenge Final will be held virtually, from 7-10 June.
- Teams need to think of a global issue and/or challenge that the world is facing and present their unique solution to a panel of judges. You are encouraged to refer to the Global Goals page when choosing the global challenge that your team will tackle.
- Teams will be asked to submit two video submissions – one for a semi-final round and one for the final round. The first should be a 3-minute presentation that explains the solution (this will be used for the semi-finals). The other video should be 5-7 minutes and will be presented to judges should the team advance to the finals. Teams in the finals will also participate in a live Q&A session with judges via Zoom (or similar). Video pitches should be presented just as they would be if they were in person (ie. not overly edited and produced, but basically just team members all participating in an online session that is recorded). More details about technical requirements will be shared soon.
- The winning teams will be part of an online community, where they can also engage with the event organisers and with each other.
- WCC Rules and presentation requirements
- Application and progression
- Each presentation will be judged using the World's Challenge Challenge scoring rubric (PDF)
- Resources to help you prepare
- Watch the Video of the 2019 World’s Challenge Challenge Global Final
How to apply
Complete the 2021 WCC application form and email it to us by 15 March 2021.
2021 Application Timeline
|15 Mar||Applications close|
|19 Mar||Finalists notified. Start to prepare your 5–7 minute team presentation.|
|15 Apr||Finalists present at Otago before a panel of judges. The winning team is announced!|
|7-10 Jun||The winning team participates in the Virtual International World's Challenge Challenge hosted by Western University, Canada for a chance to win CAN$30,000!|
- First Place: $250 travel voucher per person + a chance to win CAD$30,000 (for the team)
- Second Place: $50 gift card per person
- Third place: $30 gift card per person
World’s Challenge Challenge winners
- First Place: CAD$30,000
- Second Place: CAD$15,000
- Third Place: CAD$7,500
The intention for prize money is to help further develop the proposed solution and support implementation.
Do you need team members?
We created a closed Facebook group to allow you to connect with other Otago students.
Ask to join: Otago WCC – find a team member