Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Visa-on-Campus Application Information

Lecture theatre

Information correct as at May 2018

Student Visa Services cannot accept visa applications for students who do not currently hold a valid student visa. If you hold a visitor or work visa you will have to apply directly to Immigration New Zealand.

Documents required if applying on campus at the University of Otago


Your passport should be valid for at least one month after the expected expiry date of the visa that you are applying for.
If your passport expires before that date, your visa will be granted only up to one month before the expiry date of your passport. 

Your passport will be returned to you while your application is being processed.  Once your student visa is ready to collect we will email you to bring your passport into the International Office to have the label endorsed.  You will have three weeks to bring your passport in to us - please make sure that you check your student email.

If you do not present your passport within that three week period your visa label will be returned to Immigration New Zealand (INZ).  You will then need to send your passport to INZ and pay a visa transfer fee of NZ$110 to have your visa endorsed.

 ^ Top of page

Visa-on-Campus Application Form

Visa-on-Campus Application Form (169KB) completed and signed. Please print clearly in capital letters using blue or black ink. Hard copies of this document are available from the International Office.

All questions must be answered in full. If there is not enough room on the form for your answers, please use a separate sheet of paper.

^ Top of page


One recent passport size photograph, less than six months old.

^ Top of page

Thesis Statement and Curriculum Vitae

Currently required only from PhD students who are citizens of India and Iran

^ Top of page

Tuition Fees Receipt

Receipt for payment of University of Otago tuition fees or confirmation of Scholarship, if applicable.

^ Top of page

Evidence of Funds

Only the following documents are accepted:

  • Confirmation of Scholarship; or
  • Bank statement in your name no older than 7 days, obtained after your tuition fees have been paid, showing the last 3 months transactions. Internet banking statements may be acceptable if they include the name of the bank, your name, the account number, the date, balance and three months transactions. You may be asked to explain any deposits of over NZ$5000.00 transferred within New Zealand on your statement and may be asked for evidence of the relationship between you and the person who made the deposit; or
  • Sponsorship (only to be used if the same person or organisation completed the form for your first offshore visa application):
    1. A Financial Undertaking for a Student form completed by a relative or friend.
    2. A Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry if your sponsor is a New Zealand citizen or resident, an organisation or government agency.

Please note:

  • The minimum amount required for a one year visa is NZ$15,000.00.  An additional NZ$1,500.00 is required if outward travel has not been pre-purchased.
  • For courses of less than 36 weeks you will need to show funds of at least NZ$1,250 a month for living expenses.
  • Applications including Sponsorship forms, or joint bank accounts, must be submitted at least five working days before the current visa expiry
  • If you have an overseas bank account, you need to provide a copy of the card that gives you access to that particular account from New Zealand.
  • Term deposit accounts from New Zealand banks may be acceptable.

^ Top of page

Evidence of Travel

A photocopy of your ticket or e-ticket for travel out of New Zealand. If you do not have one, you must show sufficient funds in your bank account to cover your travelling costs after your tuition fees have been paid and in addition to funds for living expenses. The destination must be to a country where you have right of entry.

^ Top of page

Academic Results

Returning students

A printout of your complete academic record from eVision is acceptable

New students

You only need to provide a copy of your Offer of Place letter

^ Top of page

Evidence of Accommodation

Students under the age of 18 must provide written confirmation that the student’s accommodation is compliant with the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Please ask Student Visa Services staff for written confirmation.

^ Top of page

Health Certificates

X-ray Certificate

Applicants who intend to be in New Zealand for more than 6 months and are not from a low incidence TB (pulmonary tuberculosis) country must undergo a TB-screening X-ray. This also applies if you have spent a combined total of three months in any country not on this list, or if you have spent six consecutive months since your last visa application in any country not on this list.  A new X-ray Certificate will then be required every 36 months.

Countries with a low incidence of tuberculosis

Andorra Czech Republic Lebanon Saint Lucia
Antigua and Barbuda Denmark Libya San Marino
Australia Dominica Liechtenstein Slovenia
Austria Finland Luxembourg Sweden
Barbados France Malta Switzerland
Belgium Germany Monaco Trinidad and Tobago
Bermuda Greece Montserrat Turks and Caicos
British Virgin Islands Grenada Netherlands United Arab Emirates
Canada Iceland Netherlands Antilles United Kingdom
Cayman Islands Ireland New Zealand US Virgin Islands
Chile Israel Norway USA
Costa Rica Italy Oman Vatican City
Cuba Jamaica Puerto Rico  
Cyprus Jordan Saint Kitts and Nevis  

General Medical Certificate

Full fee paying students are no longer required to provide Medical Certificates with student visa applications, unless requested to provide one by an immigration officer. However you may need to provide one if you answer “yes” to any of the health questions marked with an asterisk (*) on the student visa application form.  Please read the Supplementary Document to Health Questions if you are unsure how to answer these questions.

Students who pay tuition fees at a domestic rate, such as PhD, Exchange and New Zealand Aid Programme students, who intend to be in New Zealand for a total of more than 12 months (include all past visits) must undergo a general medical and X-ray examination.  A new certificate will then need to be submitted every 36 months. Your General Medical Certificate must be less than three months old at the time that the application is made.

From 30 June 2015 onshore applicants must use an approved clinic within New Zealand. Please visit the Immigration New Zealand website for a list of approved Panel Physicians. Student Health Services do not offer this service.

If you are preparing your application overseas you must also use an approved Panel Physician in that country.

^ Top of page

Police Certificate

Applicants intending to be in New Zealand for a total of 24 months or longer must submit a police certificate from their country of citizenship and any country where they have lived for five years or more since attaining the age of 17 years. Please speak with Student Visa Services staff if you are aged under 20 and have not left New Zealand since the age of 17, this requirement could be waived.
The certificate must be no more than six months old at the time the application is made. A new certificate will then need to be submitted every 36 months, however an Immigration Officer may request a new certificate at any time.
Information on how to obtain your police certificate can be found on the INZ website
If a police certificate is due but not provided with a student visa application only 15 days will be given to provide one. If no police certificate is received but evidence of applying for the certificate is provided in this time, the visa application will be approved (if all other requirements are met) for a short period only. Students will then need to apply for a new visa before it expires. If no police certificate has been received since the last application the new visa application will be declined immediately.

^ Top of page

Visa Application Fee

The fee for a Visa-on-Campus Application is NZ$220 (subject to change).  Once staff at Student Visa Services have checked all the above documents they will provide you with a payment authorisation slip.  You can then present this slip at the University of Otago's Cashier Office and pay the fee.  Payment may be made by cash, eftpos, or cheque made payable to the University of Otago.

The NZ$220 fee for applications made on campus is comprised of a NZ$100 application fee, NZ$17 Immigration Levy and a NZ$103 service charge.

The processing fee for students applying directly to Immigration New Zealand is NZ$277 for a hard copy application and NZ$250 for an online application.

^ Top of page


We are not able to accept your application for a visa-on-campus if:

  • You do not currently hold a valid student visa.
  • You are not currently, or were not during the last enrolment period, a full-time student, unless you are an undergraduate finalist.
  • You are a returning student and you did not pass at least 75% of your coursework in the last enrolment period, unless pre-approval is obtained from Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
  • You are here on the Student Exchange Programme.

If you fall into any of the above categories, you need to apply directly through Immigration New Zealand.

Please Note: Immigration New Zealand reserve the right to refuse applications submitted on campus and may request that you resubmit your application directly to the Palmerston North Immigration New Zealand branch.

Please note that your visa application fee will not be refunded if you withdraw your application.

^ Top of page

Important Notes

  • Please aim to submit your visa application one month before current visa expires. Visa-on-Campus applications will, however, be accepted up until three working days before the expiry date, or five working days if evidence of funding includes sponsorship forms or joint bank accounts. Any later than this the application must be sent to the Student Processing Unit in Palmerston North.
  • Applications can only be accepted from students in person.
  • Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Students are responsible for providing all required documents, with official English translations if issued in another language.
  • PhD students requesting length-of-course visas should speak with Student Visa Services staff.
  • Please make sure that your contact details, including mobile phone number, on eVision are updated and correct.
  • It is essential to apply for a new visa before your current visa expires. If you face delays due to availability of an appointment for your chest x-ray or medical certificate you may submit the Visa-On-Campus application with evidence of your appointment date.  To find out if a chest x-ray or medical certificate is required please call Immigration New Zealand on 0508 558 855 from a New Zealand landline, or 09 914 4100 from a mobile phone.
  • If you are submitting your visa application directly to Immigration New Zealand information on requirements and the application process can be found on the INZ website.
  • We advise you not to book any overseas travel before your student visa has been issued.
  • Please note that your visa application fee will not be refunded if you withdraw your application.
  • Immigration New Zealand will contact you via your University of Otago email account if they require further documents to process your application. To ensure that emails from our office are not filtered to your junk mail please add our email address,, to your contacts list. We recommend that you submit any documents requested by an INZ Officer as soon as you can. Please check your email on a regular basis.

Immigration New Zealand holds a record of all previous information and documents supplied by you.  It is an offence to provide false or misleading information on your application form.

Opening hours, Location, and Contact details for Student Visa Services:

Opening hours

Monday to Friday between 10.00am and 4.00pm

Physical location on campus

International Office
Room G02
Archway West Building
90 Union Place East
Dunedin 9016
New Zealand

Contact details

Phone: + 64 3 479 4569
Fax: + 64 3 479 8367

^ Top of Page