It is important to be well prepared for your time at the University of Otago. We recommend that you bring:
- All your travel documents such as tickets, passport, travel and medical insurance certificate (if you have purchased a compliant policy other than Studentsafe), driver’s licence, copies of your birth certificate and any necessary academic records
- Money, traveller cheques and credit cards. Make sure that you have a small amount of New Zealand money for immediate costs (such as airport costs or transport) upon your arrival. Foreign Exchange Offices are available at all international airport terminals in New Zealand
- Medical or optical prescriptions, translated into English
- Warm clothing (including a warm and waterproof jacket) as the weather in Dunedin can change quickly even during summer.
Remember to put all important documents in your hand luggage.
It is a good idea to keep a photocopy of your birth certificate and passport in your checked luggage and leave a copy with a family member or friend back home just in case.
You may also wish to bring:
- A few of your favourite photos of family and friends and small ‘familiar’ objects to help personalise your new living space
- A sleeping bag may be useful for bedding when you first arrive and also for holiday trips
- If you bring electrical items you may wish to make sure you bring the appropriate adaptor plug and voltage converter. The New Zealand power system is 240 volts, 50 hertz.