The Otago Global Student Exchange Programme
The Otago Global Student Exchange Programme allows students to spend one or two semesters at one of the 100+ exchange partners worldwide as part of their Otago degree.
Students pay standard tuition fees to Otago and receive credits towards their Otago qualification.
Scholarships are available and students continue to receive StudyLink loans and allowances.
- Watch the Otago Global video
- Otago exchange partners
- Otago Global information session
- Plan to go on exchange
- Eligibility criteria
- When and how to apply
- Exchange Grants / Awards
- Contact an Exchange Adviser
Students with disabilities going on exchange
We have exchange agreements with many institutions around the world that offer an equivalent level of support that is available to you as a student here at the University of Otago.
COVID-19 Notice to Otago students
We have been closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact it is having on international education.
Reluctantly, and based on the best advice and information available on 12 August 2020, a decision has been made to cancel outbound exchanges in Otago's semester 1 2021.
This decision has not been made lightly, and has been taken with the following factors in mind:
- Students' safety is our priority. While New Zealand is currently managing the pandemic well within our borders, the situation overseas continues to evolve and there is no indication at this time that the situation will improve to allow for travel during semester 1 2021.
- The Government-issued “Do Not Travel overseas at this time” notice continues in place for all New Zealanders.
- The University currently has a ban in place for all international travel.
- Quarantine costs – students may need to pay when entering the host country and/or upon returning to New Zealand.
- Insurance – there is a general exclusion in insurance policies for pandemics and epidemics. We are not confident students would have the appropriate level of cover on exchange.
- Many of our exchange partners remain closed and only delivering programmes online, and it is not clear when they may reopen.
As for semester 2 2021 exchange, we have changed the application deadline to allow us time to monitor the COVID-19 situation. We hope to have a clearer position on semester 2 2021 exchange by February 2021. Till then, we will continue to process exchange applications for that semester.
We encourage students and their families to refer to the Safe Travel Advisory website for the most current updates.